Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Asclepias Tuberosa

Posted by echinaceamaniac 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 8:52

I found this growing in a hay field 3 years ago. This is the red one that never makes seed pods. I also noticed that the blooms are arranged differently on the stalks of this one. They are more spread out in little circular groupings. The stems are longer and have blooms all the way down the stalks. I really think this is some sort of hybrid. Unfortunately, this one doesn't set seeds.

butterfly_weed

This is another plant found in the same field. It has more orange in the blooms; however, the blooms are closer together and the stems are also red. These do set seeds. I would be glad to share seeds of these if people like the dark stems of this plant.

butterfly_weed_2

Here are the 'Gay Butterflies' variety. Notice that the blooms are all at the top of the stems in one bunch.

gay_butterflies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Asclepias Tuberosa

Wow! It's really interesting how the blooms are all along the stems in the first photo. What the heck is that thing! Maybe you could post a photo in the Name That Plant forum and see if there are any asclepias varieties that do that. If they think it's unusual, maybe you should send a photo to Plant Delights.

I would love seeds from that second one. I assume it's one that came up wild, not one that you planted right? Gee maybe go rub some of the red flowers from the first photo on it for me. : )

You don't have a trade list but I have lots of different plants so I might have something to trade for seeds or would be more than happy to send postage. Thanks

o

Oops you DO have a trade list, sorry. I don't have any of the plants that you're wanting but maybe I can find something else to send you.

o

Wow, Ech-man, all those pics are gor-gee-ous! Yes I agree that it would be interesting to try to cross-pollinate the two of those red plants.

I would love some seeds from that red A. tuberosa with the dark stems if it sets pods.

o

Ok. I will let everyone know in a few weeks. The red stemmed variety has a few seed pods forming already. The red one at the top needs to put out seeds too. LOL.

o

How beautiful! How could I trade you for some of the red seeds? Do you know the name of the fern in the first picture?

o

I'm still interested in getting some seeds if you've been able to collect any. I'm starting to collect seeds from my garden but if there's nothing you're interested in, I should have some plant trades when it cools off a bit.

o

Those first two asclepias are stunning. You should contact a propagator; they are too pretty not to have them available to the public.

o

just like there is variation in the colors of the flowers, there is also variation in the tightness of the flower clusters. I am very interested in any pollen that might be available for the elongated red form

o

Grew some from seed, and did get tome different colors, but nothing like the red shown.
The fern may be the Hay-scented fern.

o

Very cool!

o

My orange one has blooms going up and down the stem. I thought they all did that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here