Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fman_gw

will gardener's diary ever return to hgtv?

fman
17 years ago

i've waited and waited. still no return. i've checked the hgtv program guide over and over. still no sign. has anyone heard any word of its return? i heard that new shows were filmed. most of the garden shows presently on hgtv are terrible and its return to the hgtv line-up would be refreshing. if anyone has any news or recent info on its possible return i would love hear about it. thanks.

Comments (109)

• hopflower
    17 years ago

I agree with all here. There are hardly any gardening shows on anymore, and when they are; they are repeats. I guess the gardening "craze" is over; but they should remember that there are serious gardeners left; unlike the yuppies who buy four wheel drives in order to carry 2 cubic ft bags of potting mix to take to their gardens. They may no longer be interested, but plenty of us are. Even the radio stations have only one garden talk show on once a week. Sometimes I cannot get that!

I think if we all wrote in as a group, the stations would reconsider and realise that there are plenty of people left who value garden shows. It would be worth a try. I even thought of filming my local Garden Club and seeing if a station would be interested!

• tabassam
    17 years ago

I just went on her website and she's back. This is what it says:

A GardenerÂs Diary is now on at 7am on Tuesday and Thursday on HGTV. Please email Mary Ellen Iwata at Melwata@HGTV.com and tell her you want to see more of us.
    Thanks.
    Erica Glasener, Host
    (We taped 26 new episodes for 2005-2006
    on HGTV on Thursday and Tuesday 7am.

Yippee!!

• growlove
    17 years ago

bossjim1, I can't believe someone besides my husband and I remember James Crockett. He was like an old friend. We missed him when he passed away. The program has never been the same. Mary

• vicki_sue
    17 years ago

Has anyone actually seen Gardener's Diary on HGTV at this new Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 a.m. time slot? My tivo schedule for this time slot still has Designing for the Sexes (which is sooooo yesterday). Have they postponed the show one more time? If so, I may go bald pulling my hair out. What is wrong with these people not wanting to please people who spend billions a year on their hobby/love?

• tabassam
    17 years ago

I was very disappointed this morning-- no sign of Gardener's Diary.

• TnShadyLady
    17 years ago

Hey guys, it's back on again. Weekdays 8EST.

• jqpublic
    17 years ago

reruns???

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Yes, it is reruns.

I just looked at Erica's website and it says she hosted Gardener's Diary for twelve years.

I've seen maybe a dozen episodes. Just got a Tivo type device last summer. Read about the show on GW last fall.

I would be happy to see all twelve years of reruns.

We haven't even had HGTV for twelve years, I think only five here.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

growlove, I remember James Crockett too, I believe I might still have some old VHS tapes of him on Victory Garden, those were the days, VCR's were fairly new and I think we paid around $1000 for ours. Now they give them away :o). Must see If I still have those tapes, the tracking will probably be terrible, but I am desperate for a decent gardening show and he was so informative.

A......

• junkcollector58
    17 years ago

She's Back!!! At least for the month of April in my area. Some of the shows have already been on before, but there are some that I haven't taped yet and I'm so excited about it. It's on HGTV at 8:00 am EST, so check the programming guide to see when it's on in your area. I think we should also send our letters of thanks to HGTV and maybe they'll keep it on longer. It goes to Apr. 27 and then it says TBA. Anyway, I'm grateful for it now since it's so like winter here, and somehow this helps. I'm loving it!!

• donn_
    17 years ago

I'm sending emails to the national advertisers who are running ads on Gardener's Diary, thanking them. This morning's were GMC and Pledge (SC Johnson).

Here's a reply from SC Johnson:

"Donn,

How thoughtful of you to tell us how pleased you are we advertised on Gardener's Diary. We're delighted to receive such wonderful feedback and will happily share your comments with the appropriate people in our company.

To thank you for getting in touch with us, we're sending you a complimentary coupon for a PLEDGE® product of your choice. We hope you enjoy using whatever you choose!

Regards,

Sandra

Consumer Relationship Center
    SC Johnson, A Family Company"

It can't hurt.

• jxa44
    17 years ago

has anyone noticed that there have been a couple of new shows?! Most have been repeats from 2003 and 2004. But a couple of times they've sneaked in 2007 episodes!!

• Monique z6a CT
    17 years ago

When I looked up the info on GD on HGTV it seemed like Mondays had the newest epidoses and I was wondering if that was the season they filmed but HGTV never aired.

• FlowrPowr
    17 years ago

I thought that a couple of the shows I have seen are new. I'm just glad it's back on the air. I don't mind watching episodes over again, and this time I'm taping them! :)

• indylars
    17 years ago

I agree with all these postings. There are no good gardening shows anymore. HGTV is nothing but home makeovers. I want to see more hands on gardening! Let me see these at a decent time time too. Not at the crack of dawn or in the middle of the night.

• gram999
    17 years ago

Has anyone noticed that they have gardening shows on at the times that we NEED to be out gardening? Why not have them at 3:00 p.m. when we're in the house resting and sweating to death? Of course, I mean a different time of year than now!

Has anyone sent them a link to this particular section?

• jxa44
    17 years ago

gram999 -- i said that very thing to my husband last year. I think that's odd too. But I've started taping the shows now.

As for how to tell the new episodes from the old, it seems that the newer shows don't do a recap of the plants at the end. there was a new one of a guy who'd farmed his land and then turned it in to a garden and then this week (I think) there was a new one too. Can't remember what garden it was. Could have been the one with the water garden.

Don't get me wrong. I'm *not* complaining. I'm taping the shows to have something to watch later too. There are still too few gadening shows on TV as a whole and on HGTV specifically.

• crocosmia_mn
    16 years ago

Oh no! HGTV is messing around with Gardeners Diary AGAIN! A new episode was scheduled to be on the air this morning and it was moved to Wednesday, then it is off and on various days. Why can't HGTV just leave it alone on a regular schedule until all episodes have been on the air? I wonder if we all called instead of emailing maybe they would listen?

• utdeedee
    16 years ago

That would be great if they did. Seems 99% of all their shows are regarding redecorating/remodeling of homes. Not many garden shows. Maybe they should take out 'garden' from their name. :)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    16 years ago

surprise surprise... just noticed that my Tivo was recording something unexpectedly and it was Gardeners Diary. Good thing I never delete Season Passes.

• bellarosa
    16 years ago

I watched the latest episode of Gardeners Diary on mosses. Interesting. I can't grow the stuff, but this gardener did and it was beautiful. I forget where she lived. Oh, well, I tivo the show, and have a few episodes that I just watch when I need a garden boost! I loved the episode with my favorite garden guru, Lauren Springer. She's an amazing gardener. Her garden in Colorado is stunning. Wish she were my next door neighbor!! :-)

• chills71
    16 years ago

They've even gone and taken Paul James off of Saturday's (to put on another fix it up show...gee, can't have too many of those I guess)..

They have played a couple supposedly new episodes (according to my dvr) on Sunday Mornings.

Even DIY isn't playing gardening shows (I think there is one Garden Smart a week on Friday's, actually).

~Chills

• Vicki
    16 years ago

When is gardener's diary on? I can't find it on my schedule?

• Frizzle
    16 years ago

Early early! Like 6am or so.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

My recorder has only picked up two recent episodes on HGTV which aired @7am.

• gianty
    16 years ago

HGTV is a lousy excuse for a gardening program, period!!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    16 years ago

I agree, they should take the G out of HGTV. lol

• gianty
    16 years ago

The Victory Garden when Roger Swain was the host was my favorite gardening program of all time. They just don't makem like they used to. But ya know if food prices keep going up I bet ya we will see someone air a good vegetable garden show. We can only hope.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I wish HGTV would return Gardeners Journal, Gardeners Diary and Paul James to their Saturday schedule. I miss all three, a lot. Paul was on until about a month ago. I'm tired of all those bathroom and house makeover shows. Put the G back in HGTV!!!

• steve_gardene
    15 years ago

"I wish HGTV would return Gardeners Journal, Gardeners Diary and Paul James to their Saturday schedule. I miss all three, a lot. Paul was on until about a month ago. I'm tired of all those bathroom and house makeover shows. Put the G back in HGTV!!!"

Yeah those were the days that I really looked forward to watching HGTV.

• nandina
    15 years ago

Gardener's Diary is back! I happened upon it Tuesday or Wednesday morning this week and I think the time was 7:30 in the morning. Hopefully it will be shown at a regular time each week. It was one of the earlier shows so maybe HGTV is rerunning the whole series. Fine with me!!! It was such a pleasure to again watch this intelligent gardening program. No one madly waving hands about accompanied by horrible, senseless music. Just the the facts and the gardens. How refreshing!

• paulah_gardener
    15 years ago

Erica gave a talk in my area last year. She said we need to email hgtv and request Gardeners Diary. she has new programs for release. I'd watch her over and over. In my opinion they need to change it to htv because they have taken the garden out of hgtv paula

• hostaguy
    14 years ago

Hey folks, just created a new facebook group to bring back "A Gardener's Diary" on HGTV and release it on DVD! Please go to facebook and join the group.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bring Back a gardener's diary!

• John Tomovich
    5 years ago

I Loved Erica's A Gardener's Diary , as did so many others ! I would buy every DVD along with Paul James and A Gardner's Journal , What was hgtv thinking !! Does anyone know the name of the theme song ? I've looked for years , someone has to know it , Thanks !!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

rob333..thanks..I took a look and signed up..looks worthwhile..

• WendyB 5A/MA
    5 years ago

I saved some of the HGTV gardening shows on my Tivo years ago. This is a good reminder that it might be fun to dig them up (if I can find them) and re-play them. Especially enjoyable during a winter snow storm coming on Sunday.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I still have some on "tapes"..we saved a small TV that has a VCR built into it..I haven't watched in awhile but it sounds like a great idea for some winter entertainment..A Gardener's Diary was my favorite..

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    5 years ago

FYI, Netflix has purchased rights to some international home/garden shows. They have some nice garden shows out of England that are streaming now.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

I absolutely love the Gardener's journal. Kathy renwald makes gardening sound so serene and peaceful. Sometimes I YouTube the only episode I've found just to get a little fix of it. If you enjoy radio I also listen to Brian Minter of Minter's Garden on our Canadian station CBC. Off to check out the other ones you've mentioned here. Thanks for that.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    5 years ago

It's a shame they don't have a lot more Erica on youtube. I think that watching Monty Don on gardener's world or whatever it is, is almost just as enjoyable!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I tried to find the show Ernestm mentioned. I ended up finding GardenSmart when I googled Smart Gardening on PBS. I have just spent an hour looking at articles. Great!

GardenSmart tv

ETA: I also signed up for Paul James' blog. Thanks, Rob!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    5 years ago

Awesome links Thank you! I found four Gardeners Diaries in my Tivo archives, but not in a shareable format.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

Oh, I just love Tasha Tudor! She visited my son's elementary school back in the 1980s with a couple of her corgis. Such a delight.

• bella rosa
    5 years ago

I have her books. Great books and a great gardener, she was.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 years ago

Beth Chatto wrote one of my favorite Woodland books...here is another video that shows her woodland garden a little more....

Beth Chatto Woodland Garden

And I'm not sure what this garden is, but it looks a lot like Piet Oudolf style....

Jakobstuin 2014 Pt 1

Jakobstuin 2014 Pt 2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 years ago

I rarely look up YouTube videos on anything and now this thread has me looking to see what else I can find. [g] I do like PIet Oudolf ever since I saw the Lurie Garden, and I find this video fascinating, of PIet Oudolf explaining how he got the job of doing the Lurie Garden and what his design was....

PIet Oudolf explaining the Lurie Garden

Naumkeag Garden in Stockbridge MA

The organic garden of Highgrove UK

Alan Titchmarsh tours Highgrove

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    5 years ago

I adore Piet Oudolf.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!