Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Miscanthus Morning Light dead?

Posted by shelli563 5 ME (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 9:39

This grass was planted last August in a new perennial garden in a new house . I moved to a slightly colder growing zone, but most of my familiar perennials are starting to emerge but for Morning Light which was a new and unfamiliar plant to me. Is it too early to count it as dead? Btw, I have some Ribbon grass which has already emerged, if that helps.
Thanks,
Shelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Miscanthus Morning Light dead?

I don't grow Morning Light, but I do have a few other Miscanthus and not one has appeared yet. Granted we had snow last week, but these do emerge late in my experience.

Kevin

o

It takes them a surprisingly long time to get going in the spring. Mine haven't shown themselves above last year's growth yet. I can poke around and find green, but it is a bit of a treasure hunt.

o

None of my miscahnthus cultivars are showing growth yet. Give it another week.

o

Nah - I gave mine a vicious shear last week - since there was no sign of new growth, I could use a scythe instead of careful secateurs.

o

Nope - no sign of my ornamental grasses so far this year but they're tough as nails so I wouldn't give up on them yet. I whacked back last year's dead foliage but there's no sign of new growth that I can see. What I do see is that most everything is considerably later this year than it was last year. I keep a yearly garden journal and note when things emerge so I know approximately when to expect them each spring.

o

I am just starting to see growth on Miscanthus 'Gracillimus'. Miscanthus is a warm season grass so it won't really get going until it really warms up.

I'm not sure about the hardiness of 'Morning Light'. Years ago I bought a couple large pots of Miscanthus 'Adagio' and they grew large and beautiful, but were dead as a doornail the next Spring. Did not make it thru the first winter in the garden where I planted them, which was pretty exposed.

Miscanthus Gracillimus and Variegata have been fully hardy in the same garden, however.

o

I think 'Morning Light' is a sport of 'Gracillimus', so they should have similar hardiness. Mine is currently 2 feet tall. :) But FWIW, my ribbon grass always emerges before the miscanthus.

o

Mine, in zone 5, not particularly well protected, is just starting to show signs of green.

o

Thanks all for the replies. Now I'm feeling better that it's just late to emerge!

o

in late july '12 i planted five 'Morning Lights' that were given to me as a gift and i have three more in pots that have yet to find a home. i placed those remaining three in the garage over the winter. only one that i planted is showing any growth. all others still dormant... i hope. i do have three 'Huron Stars' that are thriving, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here