Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

One amazing struggle for survival.

docmom_gw
10 years ago

Two summers ago, I ordered an Ironweed plant from Prairiemoon Nursery. Apparently I got busy and forgot about in the garage, because I found it still packed neatly in its plastic bag of peat, tucked safely in its box, still sealed with packing tape, late in the fall. Well, I found it as I was cleaning out the garage to move into a new house the same weekend I got remarried. So, I took it to the new house, planning to throw it into the ground somewhere to see if by some miracle it could still live. Did I manage to find 5 minutes to dig a hole? Of course not. Next spring, there it was in the new garage. I opened the bag to toss the remains on the compost pile and recycle the box, and low and behold, there were live-appearing roots visible through the plastic bag! So, I decided to plant this miraculous plant and see what I got. Unfortunately, (I think you may see a pattern emerging) I took the open box out to the garden and set it under a tree in the shade until I found time to plant it out. That was one year ago. Yesterday my husband asked me if he could please take care of the half disintegrated pile of soggy cardboard that had been laying in the yard all winter. I said sure, explaining that it was an innocent plant that I had neglected beyond all imaginings that was surely dead. He picked it up and separated the plastic from the cardboard, and, you guessed it, there were green sprouts peaking out under the plastic!

You'll be happy to know that I immediately opened the bag and planted that thing in the ground and watered it thoroughly and surrounded it with mulch. Who knows what will happen next, but I can strongly recommend Prairiemoon Nursery and the high quality of their plants and packaging. I'll go take a picture of it now so you can see how it's doing in its new home.

Martha

Comments (8)

• docmom_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is. Not pretty, but what can I expect after how I treated it?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Martha, you must send your story to Prairiemoon! They will love it.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

Wow, that's quite the story. I hope it survives for you after all that! And I must add, you made me feel much better about my procrastination tendencies. It's good to know there are others out there just like me!

:)
    Dee

• lindaw_cincy
    10 years ago

ironweed-strong as iron?

• david883
    10 years ago

I was just going to say... IRON-WEED.... "just try to kill me!"

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

You WATERED it? Ah, geez. That will probably kill it. lol
    Fun story; thanks for sharing. I confess, probably 70 percent of the bulbs I have bought don't find their way out of the package, for various excusey reasons.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

What a story! Happy I got to read it. Thank you.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

"Ironweed" says it all LOL!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting