Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaura Crimson Butterflies

Posted by woodyswife z5 OH (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 10:03

Does anyone in zone 5 grow this plant? This is one of the few new plants I bought this year and I'm wondering what to expect--how it blooms and hardiness of the plant. I was drawn to it by the pretty neat, foilage and I'm hoping this will be a winner. Any comments are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaura Crimson Butterflies

Plant it in very well drained, lean soil and don't cut it back in the fall. Cut stems draw moisture into the crown, and gauras, like the western Agastaches, can't tolerate much winter moisture when they're dormant. Even then, it may not overwinter.

o

I have tried 2-3 times now and not have gotten any Gaura to overwinter. My garden is too moist in winter: I am sure that is the reason.

o

After planting Guara three summers in a row I FINALLY!!!! had one of the three plants come back this spring. I am so excited! I don't have any idea of why it came back this year and why only one plant came back but I am celebrating because I love how they bloom all summer long and I love the way they look in my garden.

o

I'm so glad I read this post, I was about to purchase Gaura lindheimeri 'Whirling Butterflies', I guess I won't bother now, I have a lot of moisure in my area during the winter. It's too bad, I really wanted this for garden too!

o

While doing spring clean-up I got a nice surprise--this plant has made it through the winter. I don't want to sound like a pessimistic person, but I really had no expectation that this plant would make it through winter--what a nice thing to see after such a cold winter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here