Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I trim correctly??

Posted by kelly75hack 6B (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 14 at 10:13

Hi!
I'm new to this -- had some Carex planted in Nov. I was told to trim them down to about an inch or two off the ground. Half the plants were brown, some leaves were green but sad looking. There were sprouts of busy cat tail looking things growing out of the middle.
I chopped it all.
Did I do the right thing? Assuming it will start growing/blooming soon?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I trim correctly??

Here is the "before" pic....

o

yup>>you should be fine

o

This year I was busy and my wife cut some of ours back as you have done, and as they should be done. Those that did not get cut this year, and those that did are now all grown out. Comparing the difference, those that were not cut, if you look down into them you can see the dead grass from last year, and the plant is slightly larger than those that were cut. Next year they are going to be a mess to cut, but they are tolerable for this season. Al

o

I have nearly 2 dozen Carex clumps in various beds. Each year early in the growing season they all get haircuts--down by 2/3 generally. All my plants currently have those odd-looking flowers on them but they disappear on their own in a few (couple?) weeks.

I don't grow Carex for the flowers--just the foliage. Other than its annual spring haircut, it requires absolutely no care whatsoever.

The Carex is planted along the edge of the bed on the right in this photo

Just FYI--all the plants growing in my garden are divisions of the original "mother" plant.

o

brilliant job ...

ken

o

There isn't a problem with what you did, but the "cat tail" things were the flowers. I usually cut mine back a bit earlier since I kind of like the flowers and I can do the removal of dead foliage while it's too early to do anything else in the garden (as long as the soil isn't soggy.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here