Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Is it okay to let creeping sedum creep under perennials & shrubs?

jayco
13 years ago

For a while now I've had creeping sedum in a certain area of my garden, and this year it's really taking off -- or you could say, taking over! I like the way it looks a lot, especially when it creeps around the bases of shrubs and other perennials. So far, it hasn't seemed to be doing any harm to these plants (I've only let it get near the sturdier types, such as lilacs, bee balm, daylilies, etc.), but I want to make sure that this is not a bad thing to do. Can I leave it, or should I weed it?

Comments (10)

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Do you know specifically which "creeping Sedum" you have? Some are more vigorous than others.

I planted a whole bunch of 'Angelina' last year, and hope that it eventually creates a relative "mat" around and in front of other perennials. I am sure however, that in a few years, it will need some control to keep in check.

• jayco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got it from my next-door neighbor, so I assume that, whatever it is, it's the most vigorous type available!

What you talked about is what I want to do too -- have it create a sort of mat as a transition between the larger plants toward the back of the bed and the garden path. So I guess you would advise just keeping an eye on it and pulling out anything that gets too close to the base of the other plants? Would this also be true for a woody plant like the aforementioned lilacs?

While I'm on the topic, I forgot to ask another question: can this type of sedum be used as a ground cover in an area that will get walked on? I'd like to let it grow over a pathway that right now is covered with mulch.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

I think you have to judge on the other plants' ability to "compete". For example, I will be less concerned with my S. 'Angelina' encroaching on my Centaurea montana, than say a perennial Geranium. Shrubs, like your Lilac, should not have a problem, although moisture could become an issue.

And yes, most of the more vigorous "creeping Sedum" can tolerate moderate foot traffic, i.e. 1-2 times a day, while the less vigorous types can handle light foot traffic, i.e. 1-2 times a week. Check out Stepables site below for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stepables

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

a decent sized shrub should not even know it is down there ...

anything but the largest perennial COULD be affected in drought... or if the things seeds into the plant ...

either situation is easily handled by just making sure no plant crowns get too close to compete ...

i wouldnt care if the creepers get near something .... but not the sedum centers...

all that said.. most likely.. in a few years.. you MIGHT have a big job on your hands.. trying to beat this invasive-like weed back into submission.. if you just let it go willy nilly all over the yard...

ken

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

Especially S. acre -- that is essentially a weed that should be avoided.

In previous gardens, I've used both S. album 'Murale' and S. spurium 'Fuldaglut' (Fulda Glow) to this effect with good success and only minimal work. As mentioned, I'm now using S. reflexum 'Angelina'.

jayco, I would suggest again that you try and find out which specific Sedum it is that you have.

• jayco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your help. I looked at Google images and it's sedum sarmentosum, stonecrop.

Is it pull-out material? It definitely grows vigorously, but it's always been quite easy to rip out whenever I want to, since it's very shallow-rooted.

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

I don't know that one very well. Check out the link below. It sounds like you should be okay, and can even add some leaves to a salad or relish if you like! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Paghat's Sedum sarmentosum

• jayco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Coolplantsguy, for the link to Stepables -- I am very interested in those sorts of plants and the website is nice.

I'm thinking I'll keep the sedum in the more "wild" area and let it creep under the established shrubs and among the real thuggish perennials; but not let it invade the part of the garden where I have my nicer perennials.

Thanks for the advice.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

"While I'm on the topic, I forgot to ask another question: can this type of sedum be used as a ground cover in an area that will get walked on? I'd like to let it grow over a pathway that right now is covered with mulch."

Much better than sedum are creeping thymes. I have them on wide paths all around my gardens. The best ones I have ever found for this purpose can be purchased from High Country Gardens, and of their offerings, the two that are the "flattest" have done the best for me. Sorry, I don't remember their names, though one may be Van Ohme, or something like that.

• jayco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Laceyveil. I will definitely check out the creeping thymes. I'm just getting to the stage where I'm sick of having mulch paths with creeping Charlie constantly encroaching!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years