Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Die-Anthus?

thisismelissa
10 years ago

I'm thinking I might have made a bad landscape choice.... or perhaps I was thwarted by this weird spring.

Here goes.

I planted out a front garden last year and needed a blue-leafed perennial. I loved the frosty blue of Dianthus 'Bright Eyes'. I loved that it flowered all the way to frost. In April, when all the snow had finally left my yard, I could see that this plant had remained semi-evergreen. At that point, about the top 4" of soil had thawed. Then we got another big heavy wet snow that thawed within 36 hours. The ground was incredibly mushy.

Last week, I went to clear out the gardens and all the foliage on the plant was brown and fell off with little disturbance.

In looking up 'Bright Eyes', some sources say zone 5.... others say 4. Now, my other z5 perennials came up just fine.... especially since this winter wasn't truly a z4 winter for us, AND this particular area had a lot of snow pack on it from blowing the driveway.

So, given that this spot is right next to my asphault driveway, it always has a huge snow pack on it and it's among the first areas to thaw and to warm up.

Was this truly a bad choice? Or was it the weird spring we had that did in my Dianthus? I'm considering whether I'll try to replace it with the same, or with something else?

I also have Dianthus 'Fire Witch' in the same bed. Of the 3 planted, it appears one has come back.

So.... now I'm considering what I'll do about these Dianthus.

Comments (10)