Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to take care of my palm?Is in danger

Posted by nanowatt none (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 10:45

So i bought this Areca Palm about 3 months or so and since then it grown a lot but i have problems with it.It look very healthy and it haves a lot of new leaves coming out but something is wrong.I was exposed to bright indirect sun and now most of leaves have small brown tips so now is in a place with more shade.Some told me that it needs more humidity so i started to spray him every 2 days and now is growing even faster but they start turning yellow not all leaves just some.Help please i need to know if i do something wrong
I water it about 2 times a week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to take care of my palm?Is in danger

Looks pretty healthy to me.

Brown leaf tips can be a sign of low humidity, but also could relate to other culture problems. Having older leaves turning yellow from time to time is normal.

Frequency of watering per week is not a good measure of sufficiency (or overwatering). Make sure the pot isn't sitting in water and that the soil a few inches down isn't staying soggy between waterings. Too much water or fertilizer or too small a pot could be a problem. These palms like at least a bright location, preferably at least a few hours of sun a day (moving them suddenly into full sun could cause leaf burning).

Good luck.

o
RE: How to take care of my palm?Is in danger

you might also want to chime in the the houseplant forum .. and the palm forums ... if there is one ...

is that a very new leaf.. if so.. you might be over-watering ...

and the media in the pot behind.. looks awful peaty ... which further retains a lot of water ...

we dont do palms in MI ... but i see them in sand country ... and a peat media is just about the polar opposite of sand ...

so i suggest you look to your media also ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here