Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Echinacea 'Hot Summer'

echinaceamaniac
12 years ago

{{gwi:220849}}

These are beautiful! I cant capture the color exactly but the blooms start out golden orange and turn red over a few days.

This is the strongest orange/red Echinacea. It's the only one I've ever seen that got stronger the second year. Others were smaller the second year.

Tip: Improve drainage when planting. I added soil conditioner, sand and composted cow manure. I also added some bone meal. This plant is about 3 feet tall! I think it's a keeper!

Comments (31)

• ginkgonut
    12 years ago

This one has been a strong performer for me at the nursery. Much more vigorous than Tiki Torch or Tomato Soup and seems to bloom earlier. I would also suggest Hot Papaya as another strong grower.

• shpnquen
    12 years ago

These look gorgeous! I have Hot Papaya, but it's slow to get going with all the rain & up & down temps around here this spring. I wondered if bone meal might help this plant or not, so now I know to give it a shot. I just planted it last year & it did nicely. I was hoping for a better show this year.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:220851}}
    Echinacea "Hot Summer" is the best hybrid Echinacea I've grown. The blooms are turning bright red now. I think second place is "Flame Thrower." "Hot Papaya" didn't return this year for me. I don't think I like the double Echinaceas that much anyways. I prefer the "daisy" look.

• kqcrna
    12 years ago

Clint, my Hot Papaya returned and is looking good, despite constant rain.

Karen

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strange. I think my "Hot Papaya" had been treated with some kind of hormone before I bought it. It was covered with blooms last year. It flopped over from the weight.

This plant just looks so much better to me. This is what an Echinacea should look like. I just prefer the bloom form. The color changes and multiple hues on one plant are an added bonus.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

I'm not one for liking all the fancy foo foo hybrids in echinacea, but I do like that one. I may have to find one of those some day.

Karen

• isabel_kay
    12 years ago

This is my favorite coneflower. I bought mine as a 1g plant last summer and this year it came back strong...it's actually bigger than my seed grown coneflowers.
    Your pictures are beautiful.

• rmac78
    12 years ago

Hey echinaceamaniac I took your advise and bought one

{{gwi:220852}}

• jodie74
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! Will these come true from seed? May add them to me seed trade list. :P

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please let us know if these do well in zone 5. They did good here in zone 7. Some of these plants do better in colder zones and some like it warm. I'm hoping this one likes both extremes.

These don't come true from seeds. You can get some interesting plants from the seeds though.

• Ulykan
    12 years ago

I bought one about 2 weeks ago but Kansas has had an early July with high wind and high heat so it has been subjected to some extreme summer weather and hasn't really taken off yet. I bought it and Solar Flare at the same time as 1gal. plants but put them into 3gal. pots. It has buds that aren't yet open. I can't wait! Love yours, they're beautiful.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I'm from Denmark. I have bought 3 Hot Summers. One starts as orange but the orange fase lasts for 1 or 2 days at the most. On the second some flowers open red. The third (to my horror) is showing distorted flowers(as in Big Sky series).But overall it seems to be the most robust of the orange/red single flowered echinaceas.

• miclino
    12 years ago

You people are terrible. Just when I tell myself no more, you go and post these pictures.......

Tomato soup was a dud for me, distorted flowers even after moving it around. Have space in a new bed and I feel obligated to try this one (just so I can answer echinaceamaniac's zone 5 question...honest)

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

One of my plants started like this:

{{gwi:220853}}

And ended like this:

{{gwi:220854}}
    {{gwi:220855}}

The other plants started like this:

{{gwi:220856}}
    {{gwi:220857}}

and then they improved a little:

{{gwi:220858}}
    {{gwi:220859}}

They have survived a terrible winter here in a sheltered place, and came bigger. Shall I hope the flowers will improve? Or will it be the same story as with the Big Sky rubbish?

• miclino
    12 years ago

Wiselaw, I was going to mail order this one but saw it at a local nursery and the flowers look nothing like echinaceamaniac;s pic but look more like yours. I will not be getting it. I think that this probably shows a lot of variability in performance like tomato soup

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    12 years ago

well.. i ended up getting one of these today. I found one that had good basal growth with multiple growth points. Plus half off for the end of the season sale.

Some of the other new varieties seem to take a year or more to really show... or fail. So hopefully yours will get better next year!

• paul_
    12 years ago

E.maniac, yours is awesome!

• Campanula UK Z8
    12 years ago

yep, I am DONE with echinaceas apart from pinks and white - the hybrid ones have been rubbish (and I have tried a lot). Over here, many nurseries have pretty much stopped stocking them apart from the odd Sunset or Sunrise...oh yeah, the abomination that is Art's Pride. If I want those oranges, there are heleniums.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Any follow up information or opinions on the performance of 'Hot Summer' over the past two years? Thanks in advance.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Update:

Here is one of our second year HS plant today.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Rouge: Is the pink coloration of the photo accurate for the flower color in real life? Such a different coloration from the pictures e.maniac posted 2 years ago.
    Also, what are those small purple flowers?

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Rouge, I wrote such thing already a year or two ago. Nobody believed me that the whole clump changed color.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

The "bluie, purplie" flowers you see are from an on the ground scrambling "Arabella" clematis.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I so appreciate hearing everyone's real-life-experience with these new Echinacea.

Personally, I am so sick and tired with every catalog I receive. It seems like there are at least 2 new pages totally devoted to all the new Echs being introduced. If you read the descriptions, everyone of them is more perfect than the next.

How long ago were these plants created? Unless they were all developed years and years ago and only now being introduced to the general population after years of testing could I possibly buy into the hype. I have a feeling it's nothing like that.

Kevin

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Thanks rouge.

I havent seen many catalogs touting new echs...but I am sometimes overwhelmed by the photos in the catalogs I do get. Some don't look like real flowers at all. And breeders seem to be trying to make all flowers look alike, double and fluffy and glow in the dark colors.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

I also planted one two years ago. While the plant is ceratinly healthy, I too have an issue with some of the blooms reverting to the standard pink as you can see below.

{{gwi:220860}}

It's going to get moved in the fall because it now clashes terribly with the other plants.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

a2zmom, what a lush helenium!

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

a2zmom, what a lush helenium!

• nothing fail
    6 years ago

Are these fragrant!?

• Paul NY 5b-6a
    6 years ago

I have it on order and it will probably arrive next week. We may have snow in the interim.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!