Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trovesoftrilliums

Keep central garden or move to perimeter of yard?

trovesoftrilliums
10 years ago

The standard model seems to be a central area of grass surrounded by garden beds. I understand several reasons for this--maybe the garden bed follows the property line or is planted in front of the fence. Plus this leaves a continuous grass section.

My garden has developed into the opposite model though as we extended from existing trees/shrubs. My main garden areas are in my side yard--the flattest sunniest part. It is a highly visible large central garden surrounded by grass. It looks a little...funky!

We need to make some decisions on path and patio placement. We also will probably have a dry creek and rain garden put in the back due to water issues. With all this work coming up I am considering repositioning my garden area. I will have to dig up numerous plants for the retaining wall anyways. But...I feel reluctant to make this much of a change. Argh.

Pluses: we could have more perimeter screening. I could devote more space to larger shrubs and small trees. The yard might look more normal (thinking of eventual resale). I could have the new bed created and transplant directly from existing bed and thus eliminate the need to pot up or temporarily hold dug up plants.

Cons: More expensive. Would end up a more permanent feature (my concern here relates to how long we plan to be in this house. We like it but do not love it. Is that good enough?? Do I put my dreams if owning a couple if acres in hold for now? Of course, I know no one else can answer that, just putting my thoughts out there. :))

It is so hard for me to decide. I did not choose to have the large central garden (long story!). But now that is is this way, switching it seems silly! Part of it is the thought I'd replanting grass. Can I possibly just add in new beds along the perimeter and have zero grass??? When I start thinking like that I wonder if I have gone off the deep end.

Anyways...any thoughts? Here's my side yard last summer, it is a large rectangular bed surrounded by grass in front and in each side with trees to the back.

Would you keep it as it is or go for a redesign?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County