Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pottery lovers: Need advice

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 11:29

I have some old pottery that has accumulated those white deposits (maybe salt or chemicals from water - ? - not sure). How do I remove this? I like when the clay pottery gets that greenish aged look, but not this chalky-white stuff. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pottery lovers: Need advice

isnt the remedy vinegar ... which is a weak acid ...???

see link

ken

ps: think pickling aisle... not foo foo chef vinegar ...

Here is a link that might be useful: ta da ... lol

o

Yes, vinegar or a combo of vinegar and steel wool. It might not get it all off, but the thicker stuff comes off nicely.

Kevin

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 19:29

Thanks! I will try the vinegar.

o

and a stout wire brush with a handle ... something you can really scrub with ... rather than steel wool ...

DEPENDING on how thick the buildup is ... perhaps kevin is more on top of doing this every year ...

compared to me.. who would do it once a decade... or declare it a natural decoration on the pot.. lol ... and never do it...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here