Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

Can you tell me anything about Helenium?

jayco
13 years ago

Got a nice pot of Helenium 'Mardi Gras' at a local plant swap. I've never grown it, I plan to plant it in a moist-ish spot with sun. How has it been for any of you, anything I need to know to help it along? And do you like it/love it/feel neutrally about it/hate it?

Ahh, plant swaps... I learn so much and get so many plants I would've otherwise never even known about!

Comments (23)

• pitimpinai
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It blooms all summer long. You'll love it.
    It will grow to 3 ft+ tall.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

I have Bright Buttons, which I grew from seed, and I do love it. I was never big on orange/yellow/red combos, but I've started to come around. I find helenium quite care-free, long-blooming, and they spread nicely too. I have mine in almost full sun (as full as I can get in my yard!)

I actually started another kind from seed this winter, Sunshine Hybrids, so I am looking forward to having another one in the garden.

:)
    Dee

• coolplantsguy
    13 years ago

I had 'Moerheim Beauty' for a few years in a previous garden. I was not overly impressed. It did bloom for a relatively long time, but seemed to be prone to mildew.

I'd like to try again -- possibly 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' or 'Ruby Tuesday' or maybe even 'Double Trouble'.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

I LOVE Helenium!! If there were space in my garden I would probably have a large collection of them, lol.
    I have three Helenium, 'Mardi Gras', 'Coppelia', and 'Zimbelstern' (aka 'Cymbal Star', reportedly the tallest cultivar).

My favorite is Mardi Gras. Unlike my other ones it blooms twice- starts mid to late June here and blooms until the hottest part of summer (deadheading prolongs blooming), when it takes a break. Then it comes back for round two in the fall, when the colors are even more vibrant! Seedheads are very nice looking in winter.

Never had any trouble with mine. I think the spot you have picked out for yours sounds perfect ;-) Helenium like somewhat moist soil and always bloom best in full sun.

Hope you end up loving yours as much as I do mine jayco!
    Happy Gardening
    CMK

• jayco
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ooh, thanks everyone, now I am very excited about my new plant! When I saw it I was surprised, because usually there's nothing that unusual at these events. I grabbed that baby really fast, I had a feeling it would be something good!

• lgslgs
    13 years ago

Absolutely one of my favorites!

I run the "Heleniums" photo group on Flickr because I like them so much. Not only are they easy, long flowering and beautiful, the always photograph well. You'll love them. If you are on Flickr you are welcome to add your helenium photos to the group.

Lynda

Here is a link that might be useful: Helenium photo group

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    13 years ago

Definitely a nice addition to the garden.. i have the mardi gras and a basic yellow. They don't need much tending.. though i do have to say that they have seeded down heavily in the cracks of my creek stone pathway that they are next to.

They didn't seem to seed down in the bed itself though... so i will try and cut the seeds off before they set this year

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I can tell you a lot about Heleniums. I have devided them into classes.

First class:

1) Flammenrad. In my opinion the best of them all. Big, bold, tall, storm proof.

{{gwi:221855}}
    {{gwi:221856}}

2) Vicky. Very good

{{gwi:221857}}
    {{gwi:221858}}
    {{gwi:221859}}

3) Topaz. Very beatifull and healthy leaves. Later then Flammenrad.

{{gwi:221860}}
    {{gwi:221861}}

4) Eldorado. Early yellow with dark eyes. Stands well and repeat blooming if deadheaded.Lower than others: 1m tall. Here just before deadheading:

{{gwi:221862}}

5) Cancan. Late yellow with dark eye. Stands well.

{{gwi:221863}}
    {{gwi:221864}}

6) Rubinzwerg. Low red, good branching, stands well
    {{gwi:221865}}

Rubinzwerg with Feuersiegel

{{gwi:221866}}

7) Indianersommer. Stands well, warmer red than others, lower . At the bottom of the picture in front of Vicky.

{{gwi:221867}}

Bottom left

{{gwi:221868}}

Second class:

1) Die Blonde, Biedermeier, Westerstede

{{gwi:221869}}

Die Blonde (at the back): yellow with yellow eye. Stands well. As soon as flowers begin to age, the leaves dry quickly up, so no rebloom possible. Less vigourous than others

Biedermeier: In front of the others. Stands well. The biggest contrast between the red and the yellow rings. Less vigourous than others.

Westerstede (the tallest of the 3). Very late, starts blooming in the end of August and goes well into September. The plant opens to much, but do not fall. Very wide branching.

Westerstede:
    {{gwi:221870}}

2)Goldrausch on the right (here with Flammenrad). Stands well, but top branching with only 3-4 flowers per stem.

{{gwi:221871}}

3) Feuersiegel. Similar to Flammenrad but starts blooming when Flammenrad finishes. Stems thinner than others, opens too much. But very valuable for blooming in September.

{{gwi:221872}}

Plants which I have thrown out or on the way to be thrown out or with a serious warning:

1) Moerheim's Beauty. Thrown out. Flowers are beautiful, but as soon as they open, the whole plant falls apart, choking the neighbors.

2) Zimbelstern. Thrown out. There was nothing special about it,the vigour was under average, there are a lot of imposters on the market. The real Zimbelstern is similar to Topaz but with a red ring around the eye when the flower is fresh.

3) Ruby Tuesday. Thrown out. Pathetic. The smallest flowers of all, dwarf habit and plant with no will to live.

4)Waltraut. What I had with this name had only 1 flower on the top. The flowers were big, but the plant lacked vigour.

5) Bruno. Thrown out. Too few flowers

6) Sahins Early Flowerer. On the way to the compost pile. It blooms early and the flowers are big, but the plant is not capable of standing itself (typical for English plants), falling apart choking everything around. Less hardy than others. While all others were blooming their hearts out, this produced a few flowers this year.

7) Luc. The biggest flowers of all, identical in colour to Sahin's. Possibly of Sahin's parentage, as the same awful habit. I will keep it in the most remote corner for cutting.

{{gwi:221874}}

8) Double Trouble. Died over winter. Will try it again.

9) Mardi Grass. Bought this spring, but already a serious warning. The same thin flower stalks as Sahin's. Probably will not make a cut.

I hope you can find this information useful.

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I have Double Trouble and Mardis Gras.

Double Trouble grew like a standard. It's a great bloomer. It bloomed better than Mardis Gras for me.

• bellarosa
    12 years ago

Great pics! Thanks so much for sharing. Your garden is beautiful!

Do you know of an online source for them? I love them all!

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Bellarosa, thank you for your kind comment. There are a lot sources in Europe, but I do not know if they send to the US. You will probably need health certificate(can be costly).

The biggest choice is in this site:

http://www.zur-linden-stauden.de/

They are an older married couple who have been in business for 40 years, so they may be close to retirement. The woman probably knows English(or maybe a secretary). They specialize in Helenium and tall Phloxes(hundreds of them).

You can also check this one(just write helenium in Suchbegriff)

http://www.stauden-stade.de/

You can also check this one.

http://www.gaissmayer.de/

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

I have a correction for one of the names of the plants I mentioned. The name of the plant I called Topaz is actually Rauchtopas in German.

• paulsiu
    12 years ago

I planted some in my inlaw's yard. They appear to need a bit of water but are pretty hardy. Their flowers also bloom for a long time.

Paul

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

wow, Indianersommer, mmmm.. Oh dear, I'm afraid I might be developing a new obsession...

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I have an update on 2 Heleniums.
    Helenium Mardi Gras improved this summer, much better branching. So it stays here until further notice.

My second try with Double Trouble was much less of a trouble. It actually looks quite good , perhaps the place was not good for it in the first round.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I planted 'Mardi Gras' last year. It started blooming in late June this year and has been blooming continuously and heavily since that point.

• miclino
    11 years ago

Only have Helenium Mardi Gras and its a non stop bloomer.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

One remark more : Goldrausch after very rainy sommer has improved its branching slightly to 5-6, but still they are all at the very top.

• sunrisedigger
    11 years ago

Thanks wieslaw59 I feel enriched with those fabulous pics of your collection. It might be a bit late to find the selection of Sneezeweed now in 6a in September. Well, I'll find some sources up here and see which Helenium are available for roots via mail order although seeding indoors is an option for me.
    Thanks again. I've got a whole new appreciation for this beautiful fall monarch of the garden!!!

• sunnyborders
    11 years ago

Great pictures/info, wieslaw.

Helenium is one of my favourite perennials.
    I've grown numbers of Helenium cultivars.

I find Helenium is relatively high maintenance, especially for the need to break up and replanted plants (in upgraded soil), every few years. If not, the plants get shorter and, over several years, peter away.

Have had Helenium autumnale and various cultivars of the species like 'Rotgold' (Red and Gold) around for 10 to 15 years.
    Have also had a very robust, very tall and very yellow one (I assume it is 'Sonnenwunder'), 'Rubinszwerg' and 'The Bishop' for years.

We've had 'Flammenspiel', 'Mardi Gras' and 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' for 4 or 5 years. I do like 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' for it's big blooms and long bloom time (and I don't mind staking).

Most recent acquisition is 'Red Jewel'. Had it two years. Very attractive and seems quite robust.

Believe heleniums have done well for me, in several gardens, because there's been sun, enriched soil, watering as required, staking if required and attention to division (pulling the plants apart) and replanting (as said).

• coolplantsguy
    11 years ago

I've now had 'Sahin's Early Flowerer' in my garden for a couple of years, and it is a superb variety -- early and long-flowering, and no mildew problems.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

Based on this thread, I am getting into heleniums. I have several in my garden and am looking for more. This year I have I planted some seed, (Red Shades) bought some from two garden centers (Tie Dye and Rotgold) and this week found some at Lowes. Has anyone had good luck growing from seed? I keep wanting to pull up the Red Shades because the foilage looks like a grassy weed, but luckily I notice my plant marker before I do.

This is Mardi Gras, planted last year. It's a blooming machine. The newer ones have not bloomed yet.
    {{gwi:221876}}
    {{gwi:221878}}

At Lowe's, got two.

{{gwi:221881}}
    I'm not sure about the Lowe's plant tags. I saw the plants at two different Lowes and the redder Helenium (versus the more yellow/orage one) seemed to be labeled differently at the two stores.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Mine are just now starting to bloom, they are all very, very tiny. Tons of them, though. I think it's cool how they start out so very small, like little miniature blooms and get bigger and bigger. This pic is of Ruby Tuesday. Can't wait to see her in full bloom!