Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree peony flowers survived heavy rain last night!

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:54

We got 41mm. (1.6") of rain yesterday evening and overnight, much of it heavy rain in thunderstorms. The tree peony flowers were just starting to open so I figured they'd be mush on the ground this morning! But they came through the night just fine. These ones are not prolific bloomers and the leaves tend to get messy with some disease by late summer by I like the color. Some pictures...

With the Chinese wisteria tree in the background:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

With the pearlbush (a floppy shrub I've staked to be a small weeping tree...):

With 'Carol Mackie' daphne shrub and forget-me-nots:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree peony flowers survived heavy rain last night!

Incredible "Wisteria" 'woody'!

How old is it and for how long do the blooms last?

o

I also love the Wisteria!! Gorgeous.

o

The wisteria was planted there in 2001. The blooms only last about a week or so - they usually finish by June 1. It was late to flower this year, probably because of the cold so I'm not sure if it might last a bit longer this year. The young Japanese wisteria tree though is just getting ready to bloom - this is its second year to bloom (planted in 2007) so it'll take over the show. The Chinese one does a smaller secondary bloom in July triggered by pruning the new foliage growth that is emerging now.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 29, 13 at 22:25

Lovely! I adore tree peonies - both flowers and foliage. Your wisteria is fabulous BTW! :0)

o

I saw a woody peony today at a nursery. It looks like yours. I took a picture of it. First time I saw a flower that is about 7 inches wide. It's beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here