Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boday_gw

Heliopsis Tuscan Sun

boday
10 years ago

I'm having problems figuring out the height of 'Tuscan Sun'.
Some sites have them at 16" to 20", others 2' to 3'. Could anyone chime in on their experience?

Thanks

Comments (28)

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I had 5 of these last year and they probably got to 2 feet in height and about 1 foot across at the base. I specifically chose this Heliopis for a border plant due to its advertised lower height. It was fine in this respect.

10 years ago

UPDATE:

This is the second season for TS in my garden and this particular specimen is one of 5 in the border and it is (too) big already. This plant is 2.5 feet tall and over 2 feet across at the top. And i was disappointed to discover earlier this week, that lurking below the leaves on the upper stems was an influx of red aphids :(. I have been spending lots of time doing my best to rid this plant of them hoping to stop or minimize the spread to the other nearby 4 plants which thus far are unaffected.

boday, how are you first year TS doing these days?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

One of the New England posters had an aphid problem, but got rid of it with a kitchen concoction when the hose didn't entirely cure it.

Here is a link that might be useful: red aphid solution

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woah, now that's a great looking plant. Remind me not to get into a competition.

That's just crying for a marketing campaign. "You too, could have a garden with plants like these".

You sure you weren't out there this morning, waxing the leaves?

Mine are very drab by comparison. I think I've got two blooms so far. I could use them as a before picture.

These are trying times - I lost five Monarda "Fireball' last winter that the 'Tuscan Sun' was supposed to enhance. And don't get me started on the Ech devastation.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

What a beautiful photo. Mine here at the end of June is also 21/2 feet tall and about 2i/2 feet wide. It has been a nice plant. The photo shoe two plants.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

Great photos (and gardening).

But I have to wonder - is everything "Tuscan" these days? Tuscan products abound on the market. I half expect a new line of Tuscan toilet paper...

• david883
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what type of heliopsis I have (it was here when I moved in) but its up to at least 4 feet tall now and spans to about 3 feet wide. love the stuff

10 years ago

Great picture 'patty'!

TS is an incredible bloom machine. It would be a perfect plant for me except it is now the second year with aphids. Have you never experienced this with your TS?

10 years ago

'david', we would love to see a picture of your unnamed heliopsis.

The reason I selected "Tuscan Sun" as a border perennial last year as it was advertised as being much less large than many other heliopsis. But 2.5 tall as is the one I pictured above is really taller than I wanted. It appears I have got the aphids under control for that one TS but if I need to spend a similar amount of time combating aphids for the other *4* plants I will reluctantly replace all 5 with something else next spring.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I stopped growing Heliopsis because of the aphid problem. Every year it was the same thing - hundreds and hundreds of them sucking the plant dry. However, if you want to get rid of them once and for all, a single application of malathion really wipes them out fast. I know a lot of people don't like using this stuff, but you don't have to saturate the plant. Spot treatment along the stems always worked for me when and if I got around to it which I usually didn't.

I also never liked mixing up a big batch of the stuff when I only needed a very tiny amount for a plant or two. So, one day, I sat down and figured out the breakdowns for mixing really small amounts of the pesticide - like a half cup if that's all I needed. If anyone is interested in these breakdowns, I would be happy to list them here.

Those are really nice looking plants by the way.

Kevin

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

Thank you Rouge, No aphids yet but as much as some don't care for daylilies they seem to be preferred by some insects and I currently have a praying mantis on just about every plant outside. I beleive that would be why I never saw any aphids last year. Keep up the good job PM's. Thanks to daylilies I now have thrip free roses. Too bad there isn't a way to get JB's too leave them alone. But then that was why I got summer blooming clematis and daylilies. They bloom during JB season and the roses take center stage again in fall. It works fairly well.

• david883
    10 years ago

Here's one picture (the garden fencing kind of obstructs it a bit but we can thank the dogs for that). Its more like 3-3.5 feet now that I look at them. That's three plants there. Like I said, they were here when I moved in so I'm not sure what specific heliopsis they are. No aphid problem, though.

• david883
    10 years ago

Closer shot of them... And excuse all the grass growing up the fencing in the last one... I hadn't thought of that when I put the fencing up but hoping this weekend to do some work in this garden... it needs a lot.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remains a mystery to me. I would say looks close to 'Summer Sun' except that these plants seem to have mostly single flowers. Probably an older variety that's no longer in fashion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial Resource

10 years ago

I have the aphids under control on the first plant but it was nice this morning to see some help arrive.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

All, Thank you for showing the nice picture of Tuscan Sun. I had 2 for 3 years (unknown but I thought they were Tuscan Sun) in my back yard and they were my favorite and bloomed for a long time. Unfortunatelt this year rabbits completed destroyed them so I have not seen any blooms. Both plants were eaten to the ground.

Are yours still in bloom? Would love to see some pictures if you can post some. I am thinking about replace them and will need to work on the fence.

Thanks
    Vivian

10 years ago

Vivian, the picture of one of mine is from July 17th. I can't think of another plant which is so floriferous. However in the two years that I have had 4 large specimens they have been aphid magnets (under control) but also the flowers have been infested with the sunflower moth larvae. I am not sure how to safely eradicate this pest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower moth larvae

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Rouge, That is a beautiful plant and garden. Thanks for sharing. This reminds me why I miss it in my garden this year. I have not had issues with insects so I will try them again.
    Thanks again
    Vivian

• david883
    10 years ago

I never had any issues with any insects on these really (except the occasional grass hopper). I'll post a picture of mine tonight maybe. Though, I have to admit, they look a little rough now. I haven't been as good at staying on top of deadheading this year and between their massive size now and all the rain we've had they're spreading out in the middle. They need to be divided.

10 years ago

For sure 'david' I would love to see your TS. Check to see if any of your flowers look like mine (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: worm inside flower

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

David, I supect that is "Summer Sun" that you have as mine looks identical.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, that is not 'Summer Sun'. That is a semi double flower. See link above or Perennials.Com.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Boday, I am well aware that the plant supposedly has semi-double flowers. But I planted it back in 2008 and over time, that is what the plant has wound up looking like. There are some doubles but the plant has pretty much reverted over time.

• boday
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Boday, I am well aware that the plant supposedly has semi-double flowers. But I planted it back in 2008 and over time, that is what the plant has wound up looking like. There are some doubles but the plant has pretty much reverted over time.
    --------------
    Ahh, then as the saying goes, "My bad."

I've had it for a while as well and it's right out of the manual, which is why I disputed.

I've got S/Sun, Tuscan Sun and Summer Nights and each is simply extraordinary. As to aphids, a garden hose hard spray, works wonders.

I've given up on Rudbeckia Hirta, too short lived and every spring is an adventure. Are you is or are we waiting for seeds to sprout?

• david883
    10 years ago

Oh no I do have some! Ugh... I shouldn't have opened by big mouth. Only a few notable spots so far so I'll chop those flowers off but I'm sure underlying damage is already done. I don't know if I can bring myself to pull these out just yet... I'm too attached! ha ha

10 years ago

Given the incredible re-bloom capabilities of this plant I spent some time removing most of the infected blooms on my 5 TS. I then sprayed with BTK. Hopefully all of this will make a difference.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Mu 'Summer Sun' had a nasty case of aphids a few years ago, but knock on wood, that was the first and last time. And it doesn't look like the sunflower moth has made its way into my area as of yet.

Does 'Tuscan Sun' appear to be a spreader? 'Summer Sun' has definitely increased in size fairly significantly, plus it's a heavy seeder.

10 years ago

TS is larger than advertised but I for sure would not consider it a "spreader". It is quite "clumpy".

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting