Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Itea "Little Henry"

Posted by jitsmith 5CenDen (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 12:21

Anyone have any experience growing this or similar? I've never heard of it, but it sounds perfect for a new spot I've got in front.

I recently had a large tree removed, opening up a lot of the front yard to bright, open shade with a few hrs of mid-day sun. Have a spot where a medium ht, wide bush of light green w/white flowers and red fall foliage sounds just right.

My soil is a sandy loam, emphasis on sandy - quick to drain, hard to keep moist. Adding compost, but it will take years to change.

Is it worth spending a few bucks on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Itea "Little Henry"

I have acid fine sandy loam and had this for a few years before I ended up shovel pruning it. It had a lot of dieback each winter, even though it spent much of the winter buried in snow, and never grew enough during the growing season to catch up to the losses. So it got smaller every year over several years until I got rid of it.

I know that full sized Itea virginiana is growing within 1/2 hour or so of here, so I wonder if 'Little Henry' has a more southern provenance and isn't quite as hardy. Mine was growing in a well-mulched bed in part sun with high bush blueberries, Yaku Rhodoendrons, Cornus alternifolia/pagoda dogwood and Kalmia latifolia/mountain laurel, so it should have been happy.

o
RE: Itea "Little Henry"

Thx nhbabs, glad for the foreknowledge. You may be right about provenance, Bluestone lists it as Zone 5. Sounds as if you're on the cool end of that and I'm on the higher. If I can't find anything else that seems right I may give it a try anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here