Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

trilliums a bit late this year....

I can usually count on the white trilliums to be in bloom by May 10 each year so I wandered around the backyard this morning checking on their progress. None of the white ones are in bloom yet although the buds are starting to break now. The red trilliums bloom a few days before the white ones and those ones are in bloom today.

Both the white and the red ones have been seeding around for several years but the seedlings haven't reached flowering size yet. The flowering clumps get bigger each year too. I hope/expect someday that much of the backyard woodland beds will be carpeted with trilliums in the spring! I try to give the trilliums the same sort of conditions that exist in a nearby woodlot that has a fabulous display of trilliums each spring - I leave all the fallen leaves, do not give them supplemental water, and try not to disturb the soil around them. This patch also has a 'nurse' log:
{{gwi:222527}}

Where I grew up, the red trilliums were most common so I have a nostalgic fondness for the red ones :-
{{gwi:222528}}
The red ones here seed around but not as freely as the white ones as you can see by the fewer seedlings visible in this picture:
{{gwi:222529}}

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro