Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gigim_gw

Need plant ideas

gigim
10 years ago

I have gotten a good start on the front of my house but now am at a loss.. That is a tea olive under the window. The rest are knock out roses, stella d Oro Daylilies, radican gardenias and homestead gardenias with a few ground cover you cannot see.
I am looking to fill in the back area infront of the brick behind the roses. This is a southern exposure that is in full sun all day near Greenville, SC. I will post 2 photo's in seperate messages as I do not know how to post 2 pics to 1 message.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments (9)

• lisanti07028
    10 years ago

Why don't you just let it grow for a year or so? All those plants are going to get bigger, so if you put something else in there now, you'll just have to move it later. If it seems bare, maybe throw some annuals in there while you're waiting for everything else to mature.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

reply to this post.. and put your second picture here ...

and then link to this post.. in that other post ....

elsewise.. you are going to get confused ...

with the height of the windows.. and the porch..

what strikes my eye.. right off the bat.. is how shallow your beds are ....

obviously.. not able to stand there...i might suggest.. that your bed should be as wide as the porch is high ... for some type of balance to the 'eye' ...

does that make any sense ...

and then.. space things.. so there is a min of 2 to 3 feet at the wall ...

and then get some conifers in there for a more vertical presence ... find the conifer forum for some unique ideas ...

your maple is also.. probably.. 5 feet too close to the house.. for the very long run also ... but you can deal with that.. thru creative pruning ... over the years ...

get a pitcher of adult beverages.. two lawnchairs... the signif other.. and sit out there one evening for a couple hours ..... and see if you can picture what i am trying to explain.. perhaps using a hose;.. as a line to 'see' the scale issue ...

good luck

ken

• gigim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for these suggestions. Ken- do you mean the bed should be as wide as the distance from the ground to the bottom of the porch or from the ground to the top of the porch?
    I took your suggestion and posted the other photo here with my reply. Now how do I link the first to this one? ( I realize I should have just done it this way in the first place!)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I agree with Ken - I thought the bed was rather shallow as well. I don't know how much room you have to bring it out, but I would try to do that. Although don't ask me how much, lol - kinda the thing where I'd know it when I saw it, which of course doesn't help you! But Ken seems to have a handle on it.

:)
    Dee

• domino123
    10 years ago

I agree about expanding the planting beds - bump that bed out so it flows continuously around the corner of your home. Seems large at the time, but once all your plants mature you'll appreciate the space, and proper scale.

I love that you repeat the same plants, which is more appealing to the eye IMO as it has a better flow and the formal style compliments your home very well.

I also think Annabelle Hydrangeas would look great in front of that dark brick, but I'm biased when it comes to my Annabelles. The height would be nice too against that tall wall.

Copy the website in the address bar, and paste the link below "optional Link URL" to paste your other post here.

Here is a link that might be useful: other post

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Clematis up a trellis or obelisk.

Holly hocks.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Hydrangeas in full SC sun? Seems risky to me.

I second, or third the extending your beds forward idea. I just did the same thing in front of my home and I am very glad that I did! I went out way more than I thought I needed and it's full already. Should have gone out another two feet!

If it were me, I'd be choosing evergreens, maybe arborvitaes or junipers (make sure they are the right size and not monsters!) for the back of the border in your case. You have a lot of deciduous choices. What will it look like at the end of fall and winter when all the leaves drop and everything is empty? Evergreens will give it depth and winter interest. As for the front of the border, each person is soooo different in their tastes, I would never even try to suggest perennials for you, they would all be the ones that I like! I would just say, tour, tour, tour your local nurseries, get a feel for what works in your area by talking to them and research, research, research. So many directions, here's just a couple of examples: Do you want long-blooming or do you tire of seeing the same bloom and want change? Do you like compact plants or does a more messy habit appeal to you? Everyone is unique in what they like.

• domino123
    10 years ago

The annabelle suggestion wasn't actually for full sun location (I realized that after the fact), but rather if you did have another area along that brick wall that offers shade, it would look spectacular - but again I'm a Wisconsinite and have no idea how this plant grows in your region.

• gigim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, I never thought about expanding this bed but I see your point. The house sits up on a hill so there isnt a whole lot of room to expand but I could certianly go a few feet. I assume you would then suggest I move most everything forward, to make room closer to the wall for taller, deciduous plantings. I am planning on moving the JM out further from the house in the fall and this will require expanding the bed anyway. Here is the walkway where I have 2 clematis on a trellis. They are just about to bloom.