Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
campanula Elizabeth

Posted by denidill 3a Alberta (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 12:48

I received a campanula 'Elizabeth' from a friend as a gift, but am concerned about planting it. Every campanula I have ever had went rampant through my garden. Some more than others ... if this one is fairly well behaved, it would be great to have it cover some bare areas. What are you experiences with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: campanula Elizabeth

Rut roh. I just planted glomerata and persicifolia. Did I just set myself up for headaches? (Sorry I can't answer about Elizabeth as I've not tried it).

o

I have c. glomerata and it is very well behaved. Yes, it does spread, but in a good way. Maybe it depends on the zone ... we have some really cold weather here. That said, I have put in other campanulas and I regretted it.

o

Campanula 'Elizabeth' is rampant in my gardens. However, it blooms, and blooms nicely, in dry shade, where little else will grow.
I don't think you'll regret C. glomerata or C. persicifolia. The latter reseeds a lot, but I like it, and deadheading would resolve that problem. C. glomerata has never spread here.
C. 'Elizabeth' is stoloniferous and will colonize as much area as it is allowed to. That said, it's very pretty, and some serious hoeing and digging will keep it in check.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 20, 10 at 15:42

Campanula takesimana 'Elizabeth', or Campanula cochlearifolia 'Elizabeth Oliver'?

Any of the takesimana will be spreaders. C. cochlearifolia Elizabeth Oliver is a slow spreader in my clay soil with regular water, mild climate. It politely spreads around, tucking in and out of other perennials, is shallowly rooted and never a nuisance. Have to say, I've never taken a hoe to it, but I do lift small pieces from the outer edges with a trowel and move them to where I would like more of this 3" (in bloom, 1/2" when not) charmer.

o

I'M TRYING to get rid of that darned Elizabeth! She has self seeded all over the place and roots pretty strongly. I would not recommend planting her unless you want something to take up a lot of space.

o

it would be the takesimana. I am hoping that our cool summers prevent it from spreading as vigorously compared to milder climates. Hmmm. I will have to think about this!

o

In my opinion both C. takesimana and glomerata should be banned or be sold with a BIG BLINKING RED WARNING. Both of them are impossible to remove once they are in the middle of another plant(I don't use chemicals),unless you dig it up and wash the roots, pulling all the pieces of the campanulas out. It took me years to kill C.glomerata(I hope it will not come back). C.takesimana was a little easier to get rid of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here