Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Love those Tiarellas in the spring

What you see are 3 established "Sugar and Spice" foam flowers.

Each year at this time I post a similar picture but I am hoping this will encourage fellow GW members to find space for such a plant. There is nothing to not like about this perennial ie blooms for an extended period in the spring in shade; it is pest free and hardy and many have desirable foliage all season.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sat, May 31, 14 at 14:07

Comments (18)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Yours look wonderful! I have 'Spring Symphony' and 'Running Tapestries' and the native Tiarella cordifolia. I love them. I am going to have to look for that 'Sugar and Spice' that is special!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I don't like, NO , I HATE that it does not like living in my neck of the woods. I will just sit here and drool and go back to my xeric garden.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PM2, it was you I think (and/or maybe 'Woody') that made me aware of the spreadung Tiarella ie cordifolia. I did plant one in 2013 because of your recommendation and it did make it through the winter.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

Tiarellas are indeed wonderful plants! I was just admiring my running ones that thread through the shady beds... :-). That's quite a collection you have there - how many of those do you have?

Original Author
    9 years ago

'woody', the picture I posted is a grouping of 3.

(I have one or two cordifolia in another location).

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Rouge, my cordifolia made it through the winter and is spreading but it definitely doesn't look as vigorous as that or does it have such large flowers. I'm afraid my conditions are more challenging. Mine are trying to compete with Maple roots.

I think I am going to buy a few of those 'Sugar & Spice' and offer them a better position than the last batch I planted. Further away from the tree roots.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    4 years ago

Glad you are enjoying them, they are so pretty. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, mine have completely petered out. I wonder if voles/moles eat those? I lost all my pink bleeding hearts and I'm suspecting that is what happened to them.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

PM2, yes voles like them in my garden. (Moles don’t eat plants.)

Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, mine have completely petered out.

Me too :(. Not one plant in that original clump shown in that first post picture is still alive :(.

• gdinieontarioz5
    4 years ago

I have also tried them several times. They were great for one or two seasons, then they petered out. Another “I love them, they don’t love me” plant.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    4 years ago

Oh no. That is not good to hear. Will be interesting to see what they do over the years.

• prideofownermichigan5b
    4 years ago

I am sorry to read about this. When I first saw this post the other day, I was delighted to see how gorgeous these were, as I just planted two of them last week. Now I am wondering if I should dig them up and take them back to the nursery. Are these related to heuchera, by chance?

• User
    4 years ago

Sweet!

• User
    4 years ago

Timely post, Rouge, as I have just been admiring the resilience and tenacity of tiarella, along with it's offspring, heucherella (which are generally more successful than the straight heucheras for me). I have half a dozen pimpinella major rosea for autumn planting which would, I think, look lovely interspersed with tiarella and geranium 'Stormchaser' or 'Salome'. My garden savings account (which consists of £2 coins in a teapot shaped like a London taxicab) have swollen enough to allow a few extravagances beyond the usual spring bulbs and bare-roots.

• User
    4 years ago

Oh dear - reading the posts upthread, it would appear that these plants are less resilient than expected. Mine are just going into their 4th year in a VERY challenging situation, competing with established poplar roots, along with a trove of thuggish woodlanders such as red campion, stachys (various), lamiums (various), violets and cleavers... the latter having reached epic proportions after interfering with the weedy hierarchies. But that is a long and often lamentable tale of learning (more or less) as you go.

Anyway, after yanking skeins of goosegrass (galium aparine), my NOID tiarellas appear to be going from strength to strength. The entire process - gardening in only the loosest of definitions, is often opaque and mysterious with many dashed hopes and one or two successes (such as the re-appearing martagons, 6 years after my sketchy sowing) I am more than familiar with dwindling or even completely vanishing plants - I must have released hundreds of them into the wild, never to be seen again, so I I not disheartened enough to risk my pink umbellifers (which have been a frustrating and exasperating trial of patience and stubborness).

• ckerr007
    4 years ago

I lost one tiarella several years ago (I think the rabbits had a lot to do with it) but liked them so much I tried again. This plant is doing well on probably its third or fourth year (picture from a couple weeks ago):

So don’t lose hope those who have tried them recently. Also, following on Camp’s posts I really like and agree the heucherella are very vigorous, while providing not only the graceful tiarella blooms but also the fantastic leaf color of heuchera. Here’s one of ours from yesterday: