Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very fragrant shrub, what is it?

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 13:13

This was taken at MetraRail station. The gardener who planted it placed it a perfect location, sidewalk. However, even from 20ft away, I can already smell it. I WANT TO HAVE IT!!! :)

Sorry about the size of the pictures, it was taken by my android phone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very fragrant shrub, what is it?

oh man.. talk about a headache .... nice focus dude ...

my mohawk viburnam is a few days behind that plant ...

definitely a viburnam... just guessing on the mohawk part

did you make it to holland???

ken

o

I was planning to go to Holland on Sunday but was so tired Saturday night after watching Mosley vs Pacquiao fight. We watched it from my friend's house about 1.5 hours from my place.

I still have May 14, their last day. Hopefully it'll happen.

So it's a Mohawk Virburnam? My Blackhaw Viburnum doesn't have any scent and flowers are different.

o

Viburnum carlesii, I'm not willing to guess on the variety.

o

if you were to choose folks, which one would you put in your garden, this one or Korean Lilac?

o

I also found my first scented Viburnum by following my nose to it in a public planting. I have V. carlesii and x Burkwoodii as well as common lilacs in my garden, but greatly prefer the viburnums as they have good fall color and interesting buds during the winter as well as the spring flowers (and I prefer the Viburnum's scent).

o

i find the korean lilac to be wanting in intensity .... or at least my generic is ...

i can smell the mohawk from 30 feet away ... in a light breeze

but for the flowers.. both are rather lackluster for the rest of the year .... thoguht the viburn is more single stemmed rather than the clumping lilac habit ....

btw.. the mohawk is burkwoodi.. and i said it looked similar to mine.. others have suggested another type.. of which i know nothing ... better confirm which it is ...

i also have a variegated vib .. which has a fragrance slightly reminiscent of lye soap.. whats that all about ...

ken

o

Yes that is Viburnum carlesii. I have a 'Compactum' which is a dwarf cultivar and it's blooming now. I also have a Miss Kim Lilac, which blooms in early June. If I had to choose, it would probably be the Miss Kim. It's a very pretty shrub; the blooms don't last as long, but they have a lovely fragrance. It also has nice fall color.

Right now my yard is incredibly fragrant. Lilacs, Purple Sand cherry, Viburnum carlesii, and the Crabapples are all blooming, perfuming the air everywhere. It's fabulous.

o

Thank you all for sharing your feedbacks/experiences. I really appreciate it. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here