Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a perennial?

Posted by beezray z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 13:35

Didn't know for sure where to post this question...hope it's ok to start my search here. Does anyone know if the pink flower in this photo is a perennial? Got this as a gift, and no info was attached...not sure how to care for it. Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a perennial?

• Posted by maet z5 NL, Canada (My Page) on
    Tue, May 13, 14 at 14:18

First thing I thought of was double gerbera

o

Looks like a gerbera daisy and no, it's not a perennial.

Karen

o

Gerbera daisies are perennial in my zone. Perhaps you can bring it indoors for winter? Or in a garage? Perhaps someone else can tell you the best way to overwinter them in your zone.

o

In some zones they are perennial....and lately, in the UK, there has been considerable efforts to breed hardiness in these African daisies. Given good drainage and some protection from winter wet, they should return the following year.

o

I agree. Botanically perennial but not very hardy.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, May 13, 14 at 16:41

o

Indoors these are aphid and white fly magnets. Not fun to deal with.

Kevin

o

in my z5 MI ... they are expensive annuals ...

and they are not conducive to wintering over indoors ... and for some reason i think its more than the bugs...

the problem i have in adrian mi.. is the forced air furnace and winter humidity in the house.;.. a lot of stuff like this.. does not like air humidity.. when your skin is cracking and itchy for lack of such ... and by the time you add enough humidity to the house ... your windows end up caked with a half of inch of ice INSIDE ...

give it a try.. but i hope to have given you the reality ...

another short lived mothers day travesty ??? .. lol ..

ken

ps: as alluded to above... a lot of our mi annuals.. are actually hot zone perennials.. but i live in reality ... pure MI ... so .. you were in the right forum ...

o

awww, bummer! Yes, a mother's day gift I wasn't sure what to do with. I was hoping to winter over indoors if need be...guess my plan will be to enjoy it while I can! Thanks for the help everyone!

o

Keep it dead-headed and it will bloom for the entire season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here