Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie looking for advice

Posted by ptwonline 5b (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 13:36

So last year i began gardening, and I successfully planted a bunch of shrubs that lasted through the summer and winter, and have bloomed again this spring. Yay me!

Now I am looking at planting more flowers. However, I have made one discovery about myself in the past year: I'm a bigger control freak than I thought, and I don't like it when my plants spread without my express permission!

Case in point: I also put down some Sweet Woodruff under a larger shrub just to fill in the space and cover the bottom a bit. I knew that it was a groundcover and would spread, but I never expected that i would react so negatively to it. I see how the centers get so kind of ragged and will need to be uprooted and divided, which is a turn off for me. It's also growing at all sorts of points though the mulch and so I'm really unsure how the mulch should be arranged to handle a spreading plant like this while still providing cover for nearby shrubs.

So basically what i am looking for is this: nice, colorful flowers that can grow for a few years and not worry about them spreading all over the place. Ones that either bloom for a long time or can be easily deadheaded to get some reblooms. Oh, and that won't need digging out and dividing.

Are there perennials that fit this bill, or should I be looking at annuals instead? I would think annuals fit more of what I need, but I would prefer to have to replant only every couple of years instead of every year.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie looking for advice

Hello,

I would suggest that you repost and title your message something like, 'Suggestion for Plants that are Well-Behaved'. You may get more hits.

You may also want to do a search on this site: Well Behaved

Best of luck!
Steve

o

Get yourself to the local library, and tell them you want to read a copy of The Well-Tended Perennial Garden by Tracy DiSabato-Aust. There are descriptions of many perennials describing the amount and type of care they need. Poorly behaved spreaders are high on her hate list, so it should be quite helpful.

o

Another valuable resource for planting the right thing in the right place the first time out is 'Perennials for Every Purpose' by Larry Hodgson. It describes hundreds of perennials in a lot of detail--far more information than you'll find in nurseries, nursery catalogs or on plant tags.

Good luck!

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Even simply knowing the common terminology like "well-behaved" will be a big help in checking resources.

o

Noooo, don't say unkind things about sweet woodruff!

When it comes to groundcovers, the closest to "well-behaved" is "won't strangle your other perennials & you don't need a flamethrower to control it". Sweet woodruff is positively demure for a groundcover. If you don't like sweet woodruff you may want to reconsider & switch to mulch.

o

It is a thug in my Pacific Northwest garden and I'd never advise anyone to plant it. I've been trying to dig it out for years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here