Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee2000_tx7

Perennial Vegetables

dee2000_tx7
17 years ago

Can anyone tell me what are the only perennial vegetables?

I understand there are only 2. All others have to be replanted every year.

Thanks

Comments (31)

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Asparagus is one.
    Patty

• dee2000_tx7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh thank you! Would onions be one?

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Nope, not onions. Rhubarb is perennial, but is it a vegetable, a fruit, a wierd stem that somehow tastes good with berries?

Patty

• janetr
    17 years ago

Radicchio is another. Jerusalem artichokes yet another. Now we're up to three... ;o)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

Horseradish.

• oldroser
    17 years ago

Egyptian onion, bunching onions, garlic.......

• chills71
    17 years ago

Not in my climate, but I have heard that Artichokes are another.

~Chills

• triciae
    17 years ago

Sweet potatoes/yams are perennial..but, alas not for me!

• dee2000_tx7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness! Thank you. I had no idea there were this many.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Radicchio a perennial???
    Linda C

• janetr
    17 years ago

Yes, radicchio is a perennial if it's not dug up for the blanching process. My Italian FIL has a corner in his vast vegetable garden reserved for them. They aren't as pretty with the green pigmentation mixed in, but I don't think he cares...

• roseyt
    17 years ago

I just started researching perennial vegetables and came across this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial Foods

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Peppers are perennial, becoming good-sized shrubs over time. But you would need to be in a zone where they survive winter.

• lindac
    17 years ago

In my world, radicchio is a salad vegetable, grown like head lettuce or a cabbage. I suppose that if you don't pull the whole plant when harvesting but just cut the head, the stem will create another head, as will romaine lettuce...but it's really not a plant that you leave to produce another crop the following year.
    And sweet potatoes ( or even regular potatoes) may be "perennial" in that if you don't dig them and they don't freeze they would continue to grow.
    By that thinking winter onions, carrots, parsnips are perennials....unless you don't eat them.
    The OP asked which don't need to be planted every year.....and so far we have artichokes and asparagus.
    Is there any place in the world where peppers are grown as a perennial and picked from the shrub?
    But I guess that peppers are really a fruit, in that the seed is contained in the edible part.
    Linda C

• donn_
    17 years ago

Radicchio (Cichorium intybus) is most certainly a perennial vegetable, hardy to zone 3 and not at all frost tender. While I grow some for heads, I also grow some which are not allowed to go to heads. I harvest 2-3" leaves all season, which is well past first frost and into early winter, and have a few plants that are 5 years old and still producing nicely. I find the winter leaves to be tastier and much less bitter than during warmer seasons.

• janetr
    17 years ago

And I will repeat Jerusalem artichokes, which despite the name, are totally unrelated to artichokes. They produce tubers and can apparently, even be quite invasive. Nice flowers too, although by the time you get to Zone 3 or 4, getting flowers is iffy, although they'll grow and spread anyway.

And my FIL does indeed use his radicchio as a salad vegetable and he does indeed leave it to produce another crop the following year. I keep getting sent home with bags of it.

Janet's Garden

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Many capsicum species (the most common that we consume are C. annum and C. frutescens) are hardy from Zone 9 - 11, which last time I checked, includes much of the deep south and Hawaii. There is a pepper industry in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.

The technicality here is what one defines as a "vegetable" - ie., whether you go by the definition of it being some part of the plant that is consumed as part of a meal and not as a dessert. Technically, all plants can eventually form a "fruit" (via flowering), which is part of a normal reproductive cycle beyond any natural colonization that the plant might be able to carry out, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some perennial vegetables

• jennie
    17 years ago

Cardoon, at least here; I don't know how hardy it is. I vote to keep rhubarb on the list, stems are vegetables even if you eat them as sweets.

Daylilies are edible too.

• cloud_9
    17 years ago

Sorrel is perennial.

I have a feeling that dee2000 was looking for the answer to a quiz "for people that know everything" that erroneously states that "Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?". If you get the email quiz with the answers, it states that they are asparagus and rhubarb. Guess the quiz-masters didnÂt know everything, huh?

• jennie
    17 years ago

Bamboo shoots are another vegetable that you don't have to replant every year, though I don't know that it's really a perennial.

• paulacat
    17 years ago

As others have said, peppers definitely can be perennials. In fact, I've read that they will live 5 years or longer. My husband had a tabasco pepper in a pot, moved it into the greenhouse during the coldest of weather and it lived for several years, producing bountiful crops.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

My 3 habanero pepper plants are 4 years old this year!

• miller2440
    17 years ago

I planted artichokes 5 years ago, and they come back every year. They spread but not invasively. They make a beautiful plant, and we've gotten about a dozen large delicious artichokes from them this year.

• Marie of Roumania
    17 years ago

leeks are a perennial vegetable.

i'm letting some blue solaise go to seed because they're beautiful -- left 6 of them in over the winter & they've shot flower stalks 6' high & ready to pop.

if i can get some of this seed to germinate, i'm going to plant seedlings in with the delphiniums next year & let 'em go to town.

• whinberry
    17 years ago

hello all, I just joined.
    I am interested in perennial vegetables also because of the saving of work in the garden. No one has mentioned Sea Kale which grows over here in the UK. I tried raising some plants but it takes a few years to get established. If you can raise the plants you have the leaf as a vegetable but also after a while the root is very good too.
    There are a couple of other plants such as Samphire, Asparagus and certain wild roots. I am doing my own research and if anyone has any other information I would be glad to hear it.
    God bless! Whinberry

• kwoods
    17 years ago

Fiddleheads (ostrich fern)
    Watercress

• nzanderl
    15 years ago

there are millons of Perennial Vegetables and Eric Toensmeier wrote a couple hundred pages on them.

chayote, new zealand spinach, cardoon and sweet potato are a few he mentions. i would be happy to answer any questions about sources etc.

• lnm03
    15 years ago

Perennial Vegetables and Greens

Arrowhead, Sagittaria sagittifolia
    Arugula, rocket, Diplotaxis erucoides
    Asparagus, Asparagus officinalis
    Chicory, Cichorium sp.
    Comfrey, Symphytum sp.
    Earth Pea, Lathyrus tuberosa
    Elephant Garlic, Allium ampeloprasum
    Galangal, Thai ginger, Alpinia galangal
    Garlic, Allium sativum
    Ginger, Zingiber officinale
    Globe artichoke, Cynara scolymus
    Golden shallots, Allium cepa var. aggregatum
    Ground nut, Agrios americana
    Horseradish, Amoracia sp.
    Jerusalem artichokes, sunchoke, Helianthus tuberosus
    New Zealand Spinach, Tetragonia
    Oca, New Zealand yam, Oxalis tuberosa
    Peruvian parsnip, Arracacia xanthorrhiza
    Rhubarb, Rhuem rhabarbarum
    Sea beet, Beta vulgaris ssp.maritima
    Sea kale, Crambe maritima
    Sorrel, Rumex acetosa
    Sweet potato, Ipomoea batatas
    Taro, Colocasia esculenta
    Turmeric, Indian saffron, Curcuma domestica
    Waterchestnuts, Eleocharis dulcis
    Welsh onion, Allium sp.
    Yacon, Smallanthus sonchifolius
    Yam, Dioscorea batat

• hemnancy
    15 years ago

My elephant garlic comes up every year and blooms, whereas my ornamental alliums mostly died after a season or two.

• chills71
    14 years ago

My Brussel Sprouts survived the winter and look pretty good already.

We'll see if the "sprouts" are good sometime in June or sooner!

~Chills

• deborah_speakeasy_net
    14 years ago

Swiss chard, if you grow as "cut-and-come again," I've been mooching the leaves of my plants for about 18 months. Also strawberries. http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Perennial_Foods

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH