Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant?

Posted by aerj345uio Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:47

My neighbor has this growing - broad bladed perennial, blooming now. She doesn't know what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant?

Possibly Bletilla striata, hardy orchid.

o

Your neighbor should be very happy. That's a Bletilla orchid - probably Bletilla striata and a very nice clump if I must say. I'm impressed.

Kevin

o

WOW! That is gorgeous. I planted a bletilla last year for the first time and thought it didn't come back. There are teeny green shoots finally coming up. If mine looks a tenth as nice as the one in the pic I'll be happy!

o

Oh, one of my favorite plants! I started out with two small sections 25 years ago; now there are so many I use them as a fill-in groundcover. Subtly variegated-leafed whitish and purple-flowering plants have joined the collection. And I am trying to get my hands on some B. ochracea, too. Your neighbor's patch looks nice peeking out from under the conifer.

o

Thanks everybody!
This is a must have for me - it has lived through recent past horrid winters in Pennsylvania, is very unusual and it is beautiful even when not flowering. I'll see how to get a hold of one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here