Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perennials for high wind areas

Posted by mje769 z5 NE. (mje769@yahoo.com) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 13:52

HHi,
Where I live I get somedays where the wind blows 30 to 50 miles an hour, what are good perennials I can plant that will tolerate these windy days? I have plenty of daylily's, so far they do pretty good. Your suggestions will be much appreciated!
Thanks...Marsha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perennials for high wind areas

Well, this is one subject I am very familiar with, LOL! Being in the mountains, we get plenty of windy, chase your trash can down the street kind of days. I have trouble keeping mulch in my perennial beds because of the wind. The west/northwest corner is a particularly tough spot since it is sloped, but what I have in that area is delosperma (iceplant), achillea (yarrow), ornamental grasses, a Rose of Sharon, gaillardia, and echinacea. The hydrangea I planted there did not come back though. I think having some type of groundcover is important to prevent erosion, though I don't know how moist your climate is so I'm not sure how xeric you need things to be. Anything I grow has to tolerate extreme heat aAND cold, be drought and wind tolerant, and tolerate an alkaline, heavy clay soil. I practice the tough love approach to gardening here, and it is definitely trial and error, but that is what gardening is all about isn't it?

o
RE: Perennials for high wind areas

Highalttransplant and I are from similar conditions, so ditto on what she said. To her list I would add Russian sage, agastache, iris, kniphofia, nepeta, salvia, daffodils and many other plants that are considered xeric. Because they are drought resistant, most xeric plants can tolerate the drying winds. Check out the High Country Gardens catalog or website for other ideas.

I have to add that my favorite plant in the wind is calamagrostis Karl Foerster. It looks lovely swaying in the wind - in fact, that's how I tell how windy it is, I just look out the front window and see how the grass is blowing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here