Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Needed for Dividing Astilbe

Posted by dcrosby 5MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 13:53

Hi All

I tried dividing Astilbe before and came across a root system that I was not fanmiliar with. Could someone advise me as to how o divide them? Also, should I divide in spring or fall?

Thanks soo much!

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Needed for Dividing Astilbe

I've divided at both times, I like Spring better. As far as the root system, being lazy and impatient, I just hacked at it and I've had no problems w/the divisions growing. Mine were the big ones, I have others that are smaller and more compact - I have never divided those. HTH

o

They're incredibly easy to divide. Dig around the perimeter and pry them out of the ground, break the crowns apart where they appear "dead". THAT'S IT! Replant them in enriched soil and set the crowns deeper than they were growing. That's it! Water them in well.

You're over-thinking this... just "do it". Astilbes are are remarkably foregiving plants, all they really require is adequate moistiure. REALLY.

o

I like spring better also. They are smaller, so they take the shock better. I look near the plant and divide when I see a section that looks like it is on its own. I dig down between it and the mother plant, first. This does not disturb the entire plant and has worked well so far. Good to know I could raise the entire plant and "hack" at it if needed. I have some that don't seem to spread as much but are very large. Remember they like water, even more so after a division.

o

Thanks everyone!
I'll be dividing them this weekend!
Take Care!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here