Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A plant for the end of your downspout ...

Posted by woodyoak 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 13:56

... or other wet spot.

Astilboides tabularis (shieldleaf) is a fabulous plant that should be used more often I think. It loves wet places and makes a perfect plant to place near the end of a downspout where water supply is readily available. It's supposed to be a full sun or partial shade plant; mine are growing in partial to full shade.

You really grow these for the magnificent foliage although they do produce spires of creamy-white astilbe-like (hence their botanical name) flowers in early July. They are not a vigorous spreader like many of the other big-leafed plants for damp spots. The more water they get, the bigger the leaves are. I have one growing at the end of our downspout; one across from the neighbour's downspout that is close to our fence; one the oak canopy, not too far away from the 'wet corner' garden. There is a considerable difference in size between the first two and the third one which gets less mosture. Here's what they look like this morning:

These are the two by the downspouts (our downspout runs under the path and emerges by the fence; the neighbour's drains towards us about 10" from the fence):
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

This is the one that gets less moisture and you can see how much smaller it is:

This is a closer view of the leaves:
The leaves are not quite full-grown yet.

If you want a showy but well-behaved plant for a wet place, I recommend this one! It's supposed to be hardy in zones 3-9 but needs more shade in hotter areas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A plant for the end of your downspout ...

Great information, thanks! By the way, what is that cute little animal you can partially see in the first photo?!

o

That's Misty, an ~11 year-old Lhasa Apso (she was a rescued dog so we're not totally sure of her age...) I took the picture with her in it so she's a bit of a scale figure to give a better sense of the size of the leaves.

o

How sweet. Using her for scale helps, too!

o

Wow! I would LOVE to make a concrete leaf casting of that plant! It would make a fantastic bird bath!

o

I agree! Great Melissa's think alike!

o

great idea! I've had astilboides for 3 years and it has been so small. I'm moving it by the downspout now!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here