Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

A plant for the end of your downspout ...

... or other wet spot.

Astilboides tabularis (shieldleaf) is a fabulous plant that should be used more often I think. It loves wet places and makes a perfect plant to place near the end of a downspout where water supply is readily available. It's supposed to be a full sun or partial shade plant; mine are growing in partial to full shade.

You really grow these for the magnificent foliage although they do produce spires of creamy-white astilbe-like (hence their botanical name) flowers in early July. They are not a vigorous spreader like many of the other big-leafed plants for damp spots. The more water they get, the bigger the leaves are. I have one growing at the end of our downspout; one across from the neighbour's downspout that is close to our fence; one the oak canopy, not too far away from the 'wet corner' garden. There is a considerable difference in size between the first two and the third one which gets less mosture. Here's what they look like this morning:

These are the two by the downspouts (our downspout runs under the path and emerges by the fence; the neighbour's drains towards us about 10" from the fence):

{{gwi:195163}}

This is the one that gets less moisture and you can see how much smaller it is:

{{gwi:223588}}

This is a closer view of the leaves:

{{gwi:223589}}
The leaves are not quite full-grown yet.

If you want a showy but well-behaved plant for a wet place, I recommend this one! It's supposed to be hardy in zones 3-9 but needs more shade in hotter areas.

Comments (6)