Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery perennial

Posted by weedlady Central OH 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 26, 13 at 13:58

OK--I planted something new from seed a couple of springtimes ago and (surprise!) neglected to label it. It is lovely and has come up in spring since. It is neither obedient plant nor a snapdragon. Can someone please tell me what it is?? I want to plant more! Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery perennial

Penstemon. Not exactly sure which one, but it looks similar to the 'Navigator' series. I love penstemon and they are a mainstay in our perennial beds. Love that luscious pink color you got there!

o

OH! (Slapping forehead) Penstemon! Of course--thanks Karin! I have Husker's Red and foxglove beardtongue but they are quite tall. This little guy hugs the ground at only about 8-10". Definitely got to find that seed packet & plant more!! Terrific edging plant and very drought tolerant (I never get out to that front flower bed!)

o

Yup, I'm with you on the appreciation for drought tolerance. Over time I add more and more of them because they are so easy and reliable. Some types self-seed which is useful. They don't spread obnoxiously though, which I definitely appreciate. Let me know when you do find the seed packet and what they are called, because I could use some in that cheerful color, so cute!

o

I agree with karin. Please let us know the variety. I love the size of the plant and the color too.

Linda

o

Alas, Penstemon fans... I have searched thru my seed stash and cannot find even an empty pkt of penstemon seed, so I don't know what I planted.
I tried a search using Google images and closest I can come is Penstemon barbatus Pina Colada Deep Rose.
The description seems to match what I have. One site I visited indicated it may be propagated from non-blooming stems using rooting hormone & moist sand. I'll be trying that!
http://www.hardyplants.com/seeds/P2VD-A8.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibly my Penstemon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here