Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Your favorite black/dark red/maroon plant?

alina_1
11 years ago

I absolutely LOVE bold colors in plants. In my small garden, I collected many dark red/burgundy plants. Here is my list:

1. Dark Peonies

Tree Peony:

{{gwi:211777}}

Buckeye Belle herbaceous Peony:

{{gwi:223844}}

2. Several dark Heuchera varieties

{{gwi:201672}}

3. Some Clematis with really dark flowers:

{{gwi:223845}}

4. Several shrubs and small trees: Weigela, Sambucus Black Lace, two dark foliage Crape Myrtles.

5. Several dark foliage perennial geraniums.

6. Eucomis - do not remember the name, but it has really dark leaves and returns for me for the third year. A keeper!

7. Ophiopogon p. 'Ebony Night' (Black Mondo Grass)

8. Several bronze/burgundy foliage Dahlias.

9. A couple of black tomatoes :) First year, in containers.

What are your favorite dark ones? Pictures please!!

Comments (30)

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

'Black Pearl' Ornamental Pepper
    Sedum 'Chocolate Drop'
    Rose 'Intrique'
    Rose 'Tradescant'
    Black Hollyhock (Alcea Rosea Nigra)

We also need some gold foliage plant lists too. LOL.

• alina_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Agree :)
    Love gold/dark combo. I wish I can grow spray free roses other than KO here in MD...

• steve1young
    11 years ago

Berberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea 'Rose Glow'
    Berberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea 'Marshall's Upright' (like a 'Helmond's Pillar' w/berries)
    Berberis thunbergii var. atropurpurea 'Bagatelle' (dwarf)
    Clematis jackmanii
    Clematis 'Niobe'
    Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'
    Euphorbia hybrida 'Blackbird'
    Heuchera 'Midnight Rose'
    Heuchera 'Purple Petticoats'
    Heuchera x brizoides 'Plum Pudding'
    Hibiscus 'Copper King'
    Iris x robusta 'Gerald Darby' (bronze-tinged foliage in spring)
    Lagerstroemia indica 'Pink Velour' (Crepe Myrtle)
    Ligularia 'Osiris Cafe Noir'
    Nandina domestica 'Firepower'
    Nandina domestica 'Purple Passion'
    Panicum virgatum 'Ruby Ribbons'
    Sedum 'Mohrchen'
    Sedum 'Purple Emperor'
    Weigela florida 'Midnight Wine' (dwarf)
    Weigela florida 'Shining Sensation'

Plus, I'm loving the deep rusty-orange foliage of Berberis thunbergii 'Orange Rocket' and the red of Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron' (Japanese Blood Grass).

• User
    11 years ago

Knautia macedonica
    Chocolate cosmos
    Cercis Forest Pansy

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    11 years ago

Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip'
    shrub Loropetalum chinense (Chinese fringe)

Nice foliage all year and like how the dark foliage shows off the colorful flowers when in bloom.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

I love color contrast...at times I think my scheme could be seen as "gaudy" by others.

Euphorbia 'Bonfire'
    {{gwi:220091}}

A favorite Heuchera 'Cherries Jubilee' with Hosta 'Sum and Substance'

{{gwi:223846}}

Berberis Crimson Pygmy and Bonanza Gold
    {{gwi:223847}}

• miclino
    11 years ago

Sedum purple emperor is great for me
    Have a couple of Weigela's
    Cotinus royal purple
    Just planted Ligularia Britt Crawford

• DYH
    11 years ago

for the dark foliage:

loropetalum
    eucomis 'Sparkling Burgundy'
    penstemon 'Husker's Red'
    chocolate eupatorium

Cameron

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

There are several dark foliaged Actea(AKA Cimicifuga) like Brunette (in the upper left corner.)
    {{gwi:223848}}From June 2010

Ninebark is shrub with several choices that have dark foliage. This is Coppertina, but several have redder, less coppery foliage.
    {{gwi:223849}}From May, 2011

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Clematis I grow:
    Kermesina, a viticella that blooms midsummer to early fall
    Gravetye Beauty, same bloom period, but open bells
    Niobe, sparse bloom and gets wilt so not recommended.

Just driving through the neighborhood this morning, some woodies:
    Japanese maples
    Prunus virginiana 'Canada Red'
    Many red foliaged crabapples, which will also have deep red fruit
    Purple leafed sand cherry
    Deep red rhododendrons

Bulbs:
    Many deep red lilies. If you are bothered by red lily beetles, I have found that the trumpet/oriental hybrids (sometimes called orienpets) aren't bothered by them
    Deep red tulips, like Queen of Night

• marquest
    11 years ago

Purple sandcherry
    {{gwi:223851}}

Oak tree from my bedroom window
    {{gwi:223852}}

Blacklace sambucus
    {{gwi:223853}}

Iris
    {{gwi:223854}}

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

One more woody if you have the space. There are several dark red leafed forms of the European beech tree (Fagus sylvatica), including at least one that is a narrow weeper. Beech are large trees, though, so you really need to be sure that you have the space.

Castor bean has large reddish leaves, though I am not sure if this is all of them or a particular selection. It's an annual and quite toxic if eaten if that might be of concern.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I love the Sambucus but I did not have good luck growing it.

I do have a Ninebark 'Summer Seward's Wine' which I'm crazy about.
    It has brown foliage and pink flowers. It is pest and disease tolerant,
    It seems to take whatever comes and shrugs it off. I love it's fountain
    shape. I love how you can cut it back to the ground if you want to
    and it just springs right back up. It's also drought tolerant.

{{gwi:223855}}

I enjoy dark foliage sedums. I have had 'Matrona' and 'Purple Emperor'
    I have had two issues with them. One is that the 'Purple Emperor'
    flops open in the middle without enough sun and two, by late in the
    summer, some of the leaves can look pretty ratty.
    Right now I have two Dark Sedums in a full sun bed that are looking
    better than I've ever seen them. They almost have a ruby glow along
    the edges of the leaves. I can't figure out if it is the 'Purple Emperor'
    or the 'Matrona'. But I'm going to try to get them through to August
    without ratty leaves. Maybe pull some off as they deteriorate.

Another vote for Hibiscus 'Kopper King'. A standout.

{{gwi:223856}}

Weigela 'Wine and Roses' is a new favorite. Pretty brown foliage
    with pretty deep pink flowers. Can't wait for it to get larger.

A tomato? ...well, sure.....'Black Cherry' is a very pretty tomato with
    a nice dark color to it, but, I don't enjoy the taste as much as others.

I love dark flowered Hellebores, but haven't got one yet.

• marquest
    11 years ago

prairiemoon2, I had tried Hellebores several times and they died. Finally decided I would not try again until Santa Rosa put them on sale dirt cheap. I think I paid 1.99 last fall. Check them out this fall when they put them on sale.

Now that I know I can grow them sucessfully I will buy more this Fall.

{{gwi:223857}}

• socks
    11 years ago

Bloodleaf (iresine)

{{gwi:223858}}

• faerygardener z7 CA
    11 years ago

Knautia macedonia is a trooper, very hardy and not yet on these lists.

• alina_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, great pictures everyone!

It is so interesting to read these lists.

I have Sedum Purple Emperor and Nandina domestica 'Firepower', but they never have a bold dark red color for me. I did not include them into my list.

Iresine is stunning, but I believe it is annual for most of us...

Marquest and prairiemoon2,
    I am surprised that you had trouble growing Hellebores and Sambucus. Both were absolutely easy to grow for me. Maybe, you should give them another try? I highly recommend them:

Sambucus Black Lace (on the right side of the gazebo, in bloom)

{{gwi:223859}}

Dark Hellebore - a bit faded, but still nice. (on the back, behind the double white one)

{{gwi:223860}}

And a really cool Asiatic Lily 'Black Out'

{{gwi:223862}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

marquest, thanks for the photo of that pretty dark Hellebore! I do have a few Hellebores and find them the easiest plant in my garden. They grow well for me in part sun and shadier too. I have a mauve pink and just bought a yellow a couple of years ago. Oh and 'Ivory Prince' last year. I have found Hellebore seedlings at local plant sales for about $4. and that is how I started growing them. Took 3 years to bloom. This year I have about 100 seedlings from my pink one, that I am now potting up. But I had not seen that low a price for a Hellebore anywhere. Thanks for the tip. I really need the contrast of that dark Hellebore.

Yes, everyone's photos are so interesting. I love those Cherry Jubilee Heucheras. I want a 'Royal Purple' Smokebush.

alina, very pretty double Hellebore. I did have both the gold and the dark leaved Sambucus and enjoyed them and then they just deteriorated for me until I yanked them out. I only had part sun to offer them, and not sure if that made the difference. Not sure I'd try them again, but maybe. Yours is a very healthy looking specimen!

• alina_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Sambucus grew from a foot long plant to this 8-10' tree in less than 5 years. It does not receive more than 4 hours of direct sun a day. The only problem I have with it is some borers eating branches - not too many, so it is easy to control. And the only maintenance is cutting it back a little when it is growing into gazebo :)

I am a big fan of Hellebores. I spent much more on doubles, but I do not regret - they are stunning. Love the contrast with the dark single ones:

{{gwi:223863}}

I wish I had more space in my garden for all these fantastic dark shrubs and perennials...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Those are gorgeous Hellebores, alina!

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Loving all the pretty pics here.

Prairiemoon...here is a better, more true to color of the Cherries Jubilee Heuchera that you like.
    {{gwi:223864}}

• alina_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Prairiemoon! These pictures were taken two years ago. This year each clump is more than 2.5' across and absolutely gorgeous. Again, highly recommend these perennials - long blooming, beautiful, and stay neat for the rest of the season.

And I think you just made me buy that Copper King hibiscus. Not fair - I was going to downsize my plantings :o)

Gazania, I am blown away with your garden and your pictures - as always :) (saying a mantra 'I do not need more Heucheras... I do not need more Heucheras...)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

gazania, your heucheras are so nice and dark and vigorous looking and I find the flower color and abundance striking. Do you have them in full sun? What kind of soil?

alina, the Hellebores really do get larger than I expected. You seem to have positioned them with plenty of room, which is great. They really are one of my favorite plants.

That Kopper King Hibiscus, I bought in 2009 and that photo was taken in 2010. I don't have a photo from last year but I think it was even better. I was hoping to see lots of shoots coming up this year, but so far, it looks the same size. But here is a photo of the plant when I bought it in October, with it's fall color. I have not had that great color since it was planted though. This is year three for me, so that will be the test.

{{gwi:223865}}

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

Alina, thank you for the nice compliment. I don't think it is possible to have too many Heuchers, is it? Please tell me it isn't. Cherries Jubilee has been around a long time. How did you miss it?

Prairiemoon, Cheries Jubilee would be considered in full sun. They are on the East side of the house and get sun from sun up till about 1:30. The soil there is ammended but still has a fair amount of clay. I bought just one plant 11 years ago. I have divided till I now have 5 clumps there in front of the porch. Have not divided any in the last 6 years and the clumps have grown to about 20 to 24 inches wide. The flowering has always been impressive and begins in late May.. lasts till mid July.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

I should have noted in the above post that the area where the H.Cherries and hosta are planted recieved 2 to 3 hours of high filtered shade from an American Elm tree till 3 years ago when the tree died. The H.C hasn't missed a beat from that loss, but the hosta is really suffering. I had hoped to move it this spring, but my "digger", for several reasons, could not get to the job quick enough. I guess I will let it suffer another year.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

That Sambucus is very nice.

Purple/bronze foliage is a major theme in my tropical/mixed bed. The three standout backbone plants are barberry cultivars (including "Helmond Pillar" and a tall variety with horizontal interwoven stems), Cotinus "Royal Purple" and best of all, Physocarpus "Diablo". "Diablo" is putting on its one-week flowering show right now, but its major role is as a superb foliage backdrop for other flowering plants. It is basically bulletproof, needing only occasional pruning to control size (it wants to be massive).

Purple/bronze foliage annuals this year include Cannas "Australia" and "Firebird", Celosia "New Look", Begonia "Big" (bronze-leaf form), Alternanthera "Little Ruby" and Canna "Tropical Red" (bronze-leaf variety).

And yes, red/scarlet flowers are important too.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

I love my 2 Diablos, but have had a bit of a problem with powder mildew. Has anyone else experienced mildew on Physocarpus

• alina_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did order that Copper King hibiscus :)

You know how it goes - I was going to order Hakonechloa 'Fubuki' from Romence Gardens. Then, to make shipping cost more effective, I ordered 3 more plants - Heuchera 'Cajun Fire', Heucherella 'Brass Lantern', and a hibiscus...

Now, I will have to figure out where to squeeze them in the garden...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

Thanks gazania for further info on the Cherries Jubilee. I have not divided enough in my garden and hope to do more this fall. It is so much fun to turn one plant into four!

Alina, a new Copper King, I hope you enjoy it! Look forward to photos.

• socks
    11 years ago

Alina, the iresine is not an annual in my zone. I grew this one from a 5" cutting, and it's very happy where it is. It has to be cut back a few times in the summer or it will take over the garden. I like colored foliage.