Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

PLEASE help me kill creeping charlie

perennialfan273
9 years ago

This thing is in my lawn (which happens to be near my garden beds) and is invading. Unfortunately the beds are already established to round up is not an option. How can I kill this thing in my lawns (and in the beds it is in) without killing my other plants?

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

for the lawn.. use 100% round up in the very expensive.. high tech container at the link ...

drip a few drops on each plant and just keep at it for however long it takes ...

what you can do.. is take a handful ... grab it.. pull it up .... use scissors.. and one drip on each cut ...

the other alternative with RU.;. is to get a spray tank.. and practice with water.. until you can make BIG DROPLETS come out of the nozzle end... gravity makes them fall to the earth.. to many peeps think RU is french perfume.. and atomize it under too much pressure.. and go figure.. it floats on the air ...

anyway.. droplets are a function of how many pumps ... pressure.. and the nozzle adjustment from mist to drops... and when you get real good.. you can add trigger pressure ..

just practice with water on the driveway.. until you understand how your tools works... and then properly dilute the RU for the application .... [the full strength stuff can be returned to the properly labeled container for storage ]

and with a training plant like this.. you dont need to saturate the whole.... i bet 60% coverage.. will kill up to 95% of it .... and that is all i try for.. on my first spray ... and then i come back in a week.. and do the rest ...

you will be needing to reseed the lawn in fall ... so even at worse... come late august.. just kill the lawn and all .... and reseed in fall ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

Ha ha ha I have never been able to get rid of it entirely. Impossible.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I gave up trying when it grew up, over and on top of my bark mulch. The only thing I've found that even slows it down is deeply "ditching" the edges of my garden beds.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

It's taken over most of my lawn and I've been fighting it for years. You just have to keep pulling it away from your beds.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I have had success with Weed B Gone (Max?). I mix it a bit stronger than recommended and spot spray a few times each season. Charlie doesn't curl up and die like a dandelion. It takes a while. It seems that the winter cold helps finish him off.

There is no easy solution for this weed. The good news is that it does pull out quite easily from a mulched bed. The bad news is that a little can spread a long way in one season.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Yep, Weed Be Gone works in the lawn. Roundup would also kill any grass you have, so don't use that there. In beds, just keep pulling it out as you see it or use spot treatments of Roundup.

Kevin

• mayalena
    9 years ago

I am trying to fight back with regular pulling, but Charlie just laughs. It's very frustrating!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

I had it in a large area of a garden bed. I was fortunate in that it was a bed with mainly trees and shrubs with a bit of space, so I was able to use a stirrup hoe in the entire area, and by really cutting in deep down with the hoe, I have eradicated it........in that area. It's in other beds of mine where I just pull by hand all season long since there are so many perennials in those beds. At least it's fairly easy to pull. Thanks for the info above about taking care of it in the lawn.

• tmajor
    9 years ago

I redid my entire front yard (1 acre) a few years back. Since then creeping charlie has taken over about 1/2 of it. I tried the most common weed killers found on the Internet, including Weed Be Gone Max. Nothing seemed to work. It was so bad this year, I felt I only had 2 options .. Round Up or plow it under and start over. I tried R/U on part of the lawn, which after about 1 week, has killed the grass, but only injured the C/C. Then I found another product, recommended for C/C, etc., to be used on turf. I bought a small quantity of this product to try, as it's expensive. The next day after application, the C/C was looking pretty sick. By about day 3, it was dead (or so it has appeared). I ordered a gallon and have sprayed the entire lawn. The remaining C/C and dandelions are once again looking sick, after 24 hours. This is the only product, which has killed the C/C and saved the lawn.The product is PBI Gordon's Speed Zone, bought from Pestrong.Com!

I now, have to till and reseed the areas, where I applied R/U.

This post was edited by tmajor on Sun, May 18, 14 at 16:06

• jayco
    9 years ago

I have a ton of it too. I comfort myself by watching the bees -- they love it, so it's at least good for something.