Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agapanthus gone missing

Posted by wave9x 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 14:42

I moved into my new house last year and noticed something funny with the Agapanthus growing in my front yard. The flowers never seem to reach full bloom. Before they fully bloom, the flowers are seemingly cleanly cut at the top of the stem. So I end up with a bunch of stems sticking up and no flowers.

At first I suspected deer, as the leaves also were chewed on, so I took some action like spraying deer repellent and so forth this winter.

Spring is here and the Agapanthus are blooming. The leaves no longer are chewed on and my other plants look free from deer feasting, but this morning I noticed two of the Agapanthus bulbs look cleanly cut at the top just like last year, and nothing on the ground. Other bulbs remain untouched. If this is the same issue as before, these bulbs will eventually meet the same fate.

Now for the weird part. Earlier this year I caught my neighbor sneaking into my front yard, thinking I wasn't home, and snipping some of my Calla Lilies for herself with a pair of scissors. I had a talk with her, but I am paranoid she is the one doing this to my Agapanthus. I am actually considering installing a security camera now!

Help! Is it my neighbor or could it be something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agapanthus gone missing

Maybe it is a snail or a bug. I was blaming the deer for whacking my Liatris when they were young and tender. I did notice some spit bug spit around the stem but thought nothing of it. All the stems were cut off at the same place everywhere. . I then thought about those spit globules that had been on them the other day. This year I have been doing the thumb rub on whatever is inside and so far, the liatris is un eaten. . It is not over till the fat Lady sings and maybe I saved it from the bug for the deer to eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here