Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looks like baby's breath ... but isn't

Posted by prairie_love z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 14:50

Hi all,

I am usually a lurker here and recently I saw a thread about a lovely white-flowered plant (I think annual) that looks a lot like baby's breath but isn't. I cannot find the thread now. In fact, I'm wondering if I'm going crazy and didn't see it here after all . Do any of you happen to know what I'm talking about?

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looks like baby's breath ... but isn't

You might be thinking of Sea Lavender (limonium latifolium). It looks like somewhat like baby's breath. It is a perennial (at least it is here in zone 5). Check out the link below for more info and a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: limonium latifolium

o

I'm guessing it's Diamond Frost Euphorbia. It's frequently described as being similar to baby's breath.

Look at the pictures in the Dave's Garden link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Frost euphorbia.

o

Yes! Diamond Frost euphorbia it is. Thank you! And this time I will write it down so I don't forget again...

belfastmom, I like the looks of the sea lavender also - I need to see if it is perennial here, thank you.

Thanks to both of you!

o

My Mom LOVES baby's breath, so I wanted to plant some for her (perennial), but her soil is way too clay. I found a great Achillea that looks very much like baby's breath. It's Achillea ptarmica which comes in a regular size of 2 feet: 'Angel's Breath'. And, it also comes in a smaller size at 1 foot: A. p. 'Ballerina'. I've had great luck with both. So, if your soil doesn't drain well enough for baby's breath, you may want to try these. Also, they look great together. They can be a little assertive in my garden, but never aggressive.

Happy gardening!

o

note that Diamond Frost euphorbia overwinters easily. I keep some in my basement under flourescent lights and it does fine all winter long with some blooming. I bring it out in the spring and it continues to bloom all summer

o

Diamond Frost Euphorbia is AMAZING! I root cuttings in water and the cuttings bloom even in the water while rooting. It's a must have plant in my garden now.

o

Ah, good, I was hoping it could be easily rooted. I'm thinking I want it in some containers this year and if I can take cuttings for the next year's pots, so much the better.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here