Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
phlox Midnight Feelings

Posted by campanula UK Cambridge (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 14:52

Being both cheap and sceptical, I have been a tad sniffy regarding many of the highly bred nursery offerings. However, witlessly browsing (as you do), I chanced upon a sight of these tall phlox.....and before I had a chance to reconsider, I hit the buy button and promptly ordered 3 of these so-called flowerless phl;ox plants. Yep, I can see these (in my feverish mind's eye) with monarda, panicums,asters, anomatheles lessoniana, annual tithonias and some gorgeous salvias (Mulberry Jam, Wendy's Wish) plus a handful of homeless collarette dahlias I had been feeling despondent after a nightmare spring of careless builders and ferocious but dumb rampaging blackbirds (which literally ripped every smallish plant from my garden pots, in a mad search for grubs). Moreover, my enthusiastic rhubarb forcing last year has put paid to my previously flourishing clump leaving me with a large and naked bit of space at the neglected end of the allotment. Just a bit of financial recklessness and this gardener has been revivified (especially since a couple of other sneaky purchases crept in with my order).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: phlox Midnight Feelings

Keep in mind I am a classic phlox hater (those are my feelings). This one is OK for a phlox because its not flousy & blousy and too showy for my taste. In fact, its downright weird so thats another + in my book & it doesn't look like phlox, another good point. I did get some low growing simple flowered Phlox pilosa I like which is a Texas native that will bloom in shade -- the area most difficult for me since I don't like most shade plants either so I'm real picky about these.

This post was edited by TexasRanger10 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 0:17

o

Exactly!

Although I do like the creeping P.stolonifera and intend to employ them about the woods.

o

"Classic phlox hater".

Speaking as a (traditional?) garden phlox lover, TR, I'd say you really have personality!

o

Guess I got carried away with my feelings. The P. paniculata 'Feelings Series' just brought out the emotional side. I saw Phlox 'Natural Feelings' & warmed up to that one, it doesn't look like a Phlox at all but some people (on another forum I won't mention) didn't warm up to it at all, so there you go. Its all in eye of the beholder. Red Feelings didn't do as much for me but suddenly I find I am overwhelmed with feelings.

SB, you didn't report your feelings about the plant & since you do like Phlox, it would be interesting to hear. Campanula seems to have gotten carried away with impulsive feelings on this one or at least monetary ones + it seems she has some composition in mind. I rather like it because its different but then, as I said upfront, I'm not a phlox person so my opinion is nearly worthless on the subject & needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I would never comment on the more typical kinds, they aren't my cup of tea so I know next to zero about them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here