Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lysimachia punctata (yellow loosestrife)

Posted by a2zmom Z6 - NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 14:53

Anyone growing this? It looks pretty but I'm worried about invasiveness because of its cousin, purple loosestrife.

I can grow it in either full or part sun, if that makes a difference. The soil should be quite fertile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lysimachia punctata (yellow loosestrife)

I have had Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander' for 5 years. I am growing it in full sun and very rich soil. It has increased very slow, I also had it in shade and it did not increase a all in that situation.

It is very pretty in the Spring with pink/white/green leaves.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, May 4, 11 at 16:09

Purple loosestrife is 'lythrum', not lysimachia. Lythrum salicaria.

Lysimachia of different types can be aggressive in the garden, more so in good soils with some moisture. The variegated form of lysimachia punctata, Alexander, has been more polite than others in my garden as noted above - more of a clumper than a spreader. You may not find the same to be true of the all-green foliaged plant. - there is one with yellow/gold leaves, lysimachia Golden Alexander, that is better behaved than the solid green too.

o

The regular lysimachia is invasive but nothing is as bad as the purple leaf lysimachia- lysimachia ciliata atropurpurea. Except gooseneck loosetrife and aegopodium (a totally diff. genus). i love the regular one you have.we used to have alot but no longer; don't know why. am trying to get it resettled in some areas.
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

o

I have it growing in a woodland bed. It was here when I moved in and I'm refurbishing the bed, so it will GO! I don't like it. It is quite ugly (to my mind) and definitely thuggish. The yellow is too brassy and the whole effect of the plant is coarse IMO. It grows in the shade at my house, and reproduces by underground runners that go everywhere if given the chance. I pull it out by the handful. I wouldn't exactly say it's invasive like purple loosestrife, but it will spread if you don't mind it and keep it in check.
lucia

o

Thanks everyone. Sounds like "Alexander" should be fine. I don't mind some spread, I currently grow monarda and many consider that a thug.

o

I grow 'Golden Alexander', which is a gold variegated version of regular 'Alexander'. Have had it a number of years and it hasn't spread very fast at all. For some reason the foliage on mine burns terribly, so it has never been a great favorite of mine...
CMK

o

Maybe I do not get brown leaves because it is in a bit of shade. I have it growing under the variegated weigela.

o

I have Alexander in full sun, and it does not burn because of the sun if watered properly. I've had it for many years and like it more and more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here