Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

I like this poppy for spring

Always on the look out for flowering plants that (more than) tolerate shade I purchased a Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum) last July. Of course it was nondescript last summer and I had forgotten about it this spring until all of a sudden early this week I noticed the bright green foliage and the happy yellow buttercup like flowers. It is so noticeable this time of year when much of the surrounding ground is brown with leaf litter. A simple plant but it does fill the need at this time of year.

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Oh I agree - it is a delight. I have the very similar meconopsis cambrica which fulfills my need for sunny cheerful plants. I keep meaning to try some stylophorum from seed - any suggestions.

• kmsimmons
    9 years ago

I had been thinking about this perennial lately. Thanks to your picture it has made up my mind, and I must get one!

• david883
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Might have to add it to my list, too :)

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

I find that it's quite a seeder, Rouge, but it's extremely easy to reduce or remove.

Tried to upload a picture, but it was rejected as file larger than 5000K.

Coincidentally, I uploaded a picture of it taken today to "Favourite Perennials in my Canadian Garden" (All Things Plants).

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    9 years ago

I LOVE this plant! Stylophorum dipyllum is such a cheerful flower, and I enjoy the textural contrast that is provided by the foliage.

Like most of my favorite plants, this one looks awful and fails to do much of anything the first year it is planted. But then it returns with a vengeance the following spring looking healthy and happy!

As far as seeds go, I have not found any seedlings so far when the plants are left to their own devices. But last year, I made a point of collecting seeds as soon as the pods showed signs of ripening and promptly scratched them into the soil in various places. I found this to be necessary since the seeds have huge elaiosomes that attract ants which carry away the seeds to be seen nevermore (at least in my case). Lo and behold, my efforts have paid off--this spring I am finding lots of young seedlings! This is another plant that requires that the seed is absolutely fresh to ensure germination.

Stylophorum is a perfect match for Mertensia virginica since it blooms at the same time and is exactly the same size and vigor. I have them both blooming together now and the effect is breathtaking!

With good moisture and fertility, this plant will bloom sporadically all summer long. If it dries out too much or conditions are not to its liking, it will go dormant by July and return the following spring.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

This is a wonderful spring perennial, BUT plant it away from your perennial bed>>keep it in the woods in the background. It will indeed seed about and it looks wonderful from a distance.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I do like these, but haven't grown them for a long time. Mine eventually died out a long time ago.

I didn't find them particularly aggressive seeders (maybe wrong location), but I did find the individual plants kind of short lived, so make sure you keep some seedlings.

The suggestion above about growing them with Mertensia sounds perfect.

Kevin

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Around the same time last year when planting this Celandine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum) I also put in one what I think is a "Chinese Wood Poppy" (Stylophorum asiocarpum). I see just today that it has begun to bloom.

It seems to not be as upright as "diphyllum" and has dandelion like leaves? (Is it Stylophorum asiocarpum?)

• gardengirl_17
    9 years ago

My mother in law gave me 2 plants last Fall and they were such a delightful sight this Spring. I hope to get some seedlings.