Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

knee pads

I have come to the conclusion that since I spend most of my time in the garden on my knees, it's time to invest in some knee pads, so I don't destroy my clothes as fast.

Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

yeah.. good ones.. lol ...

go with professional grade.. if you want them to last.. not gym knee pads.. or some such ... dont forget masons .. and cement workers use them ... not just gardeners ....

the problem i had with them.. pre WWW when i was limited to what i could find local.. was the two heavy elastic bands .. that tore the hair off the back of my legs ... it was not pleasant...

and even worse ... was having to wear long blue jeans in august.... to avoid such ...

so look into how they grip ... and choose wisely ... and spend the money to get good ones ... just like any other tool ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• pam_whitbyon
    9 years ago

I've been using a little foam pad I picked up at the dollar store. Alternatively I've been sitting as well, because the act of bending my knee, regardless of where it sits, has been causing some problems. When I sit, I use the bigger foam pads (the ones used for lock together flooring for gyms or childrens' play areas.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Interesting.

Have a far bit of osteoarthritis myself and find getting up from kneeling a bit of a challenge.

I find it's pretty easy to side-step most kneeling with a spade, an English-style hoe and a long-handled trowel.

One time I find kneeling is always necessary is when planting bulbs in fall, especially the smaller bulbs like crocuses.

As per Pam above, use a nondescript foam kneeling pad: plus, the long-handled trowel to push myself up back up again.

Knee replacement: have a nurse in-law, who had her knees done. She's more than ten years younger than me. She said getting your knees done doesn't mean you're going to be able to kneel like you once did.

My take-away: Knee replacements, no use to me.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny, I do most of my gardening on my knees, always have. I do have one of those foam pads, but find it's a hassle to move it along with me.

Of course most of my gardening is perennials, planted really close together.....and most of my weeds are of the quack grass variety...I HATE quack grass! The only way to control it is to round up the whole bed.......then everything dies and the first thing to pop back up......yep quack grass! Thus I am on my knees with my trowel trying to get all the runners I can.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Yeah, I spend most of my time on my knees and, like Ken, I simply could not get on with knee pads. The elastic used to ride up and down, cutting off my circulation and digging into the backs of my legs....and I did have good ones (knee pads, that is rather than legs). So yeah, I have to echo the kneeling pad recommendation - a nice firm waterproof job which can be left outside in all weathers - just the ticket.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Interesting, Jenny.

Almost all of my gardening is also maintaining mixed perennial beds.

Had never heard of quack grass, though handling the problem sounds a bit like my past experience with ribbon grass. I would never have planted the latter myself.

I also plant and maintain perennials close together, which certainly gets to shading out seeding weeds. Runners like bindweed present another problem.

I don't use any chemicals, just digging, if necessary. I'd feel that periodically disturbing the ground (let alone plant division) may be generally beneficial to many perennials.

As they say, avoidance of problem plants, horticultural or weed (If at all possible), makes perennial garden maintenance so much easier.

I'll be on the watch for quack grass.

• jaybea20
    9 years ago

I bought a pair at Lowes and I LOVE them! Best purchase ever. Has changed my gardening world. lol They were the last pair, the others seemed like they wouldn't hold up as well.

Here they are:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_264011-1492-1BC-350_0__?productId=1075967&Ntt=knee+pads&pl=1ätURL=%3FNtt%3Dknee%2Bpads&facetInfo=
    Others must have noticed the value, because I had gotten the last pair. I plan on buying a backup pair if they get them back in stock.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner