Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composting worms??

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 15:00

I have a large tub of compost in my basement, lovingly created by my huge collection of red wiggler? composting worms. I want to use the compost, but what happens if the worms get in the garden? Do they survive and multiply? OR do they just become more compost?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composting worms??

why not screen the compost and save the worms to keep doing the job in the tub????

your compost is going to be very expensive.. if you have to keep rebuying the worms ...

ken

o

See the interesting article from the University of Minnesota at the link below. It sounds like screening them out is a good idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: earthworms

o

OH I NOT worried about running out of worms, there is a HUGE tub of them in the basement. I have a tub that is about 4'long, 2'wide and 18" high, over half full of compost and worms. I never used it last year, and my DH keeps feeding them!

The reason I didn't use them, was because I could never figure out how to get the worms OUT of the compost. I know there are number of ways. But I travel a LOT for work, and there just never seemed to be a good time to do it.

Thanks

o

Great article Woodyoak, I had read that before, but it was a while back and I could not remember the specifics. Now I need to figure out HOW I am going to get the worms out of my compost.

o

Check the Vermicomposting forum (link below). The worms don't go into the garden, they won't survive, and you won't be able to make more worm compost. You have to harvest the compost, then you can make worm tea - lots of recipes and suggestions on the Vermicomposting forum. You pour this on your plants and stand back. I use a homemade screen to separate the worms from compost, but there are different ways to do it.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: vermicomposting forum

o

see link ... flip to WEB side for words ....

4th link ....John W’s Rotating Screen Harvester is quite a gizmo....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here