Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimka_gw

Repellex against deer

kimka
10 years ago

This is my second year using Repellex pills as a systemic deer repellent. The product is based on a bitter tasting compound that is taken up through the roots and makes the leaves taste bad to deer and bunnies. Last year they worked well from March until July. This year, the company claims they reformulated a bit and the pills should last longer through the summer.

What I can tell you is that from my experience the pills work. I have hosta that look really good with no spraying, fencing or dog. The pills are a bit expensive when you need to use two or more for large plants. But when you don't need to pay for other sprays through out the summer nor race out after every major rain, they seem to be a pretty good deal.

You can get them at Amazon although a big nursery near me had them early in the season.

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

something seems so basically wrong with a systemic changing taste ...

but i have no clue why ...

regardless.. if it works.. it works ...

how do you apply a systemic pill .... i can think of one way .. but i wont share such in mixed company .... [well two ways.. but only one is disgusting ... lol ..]

ken

• kimka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You poke a 2-4 iinch deep hole in the soil at the base of the plant just as it is breaking dormancy in the spring, push the pill in and either water or wait for the rain like I do. As the plant makes leaves, it translocates the bitter stuff up into the new greenery. The good news with that is the deer early on learn not to eat the plants and it becomes a habit. The bad news poking 1-4 pills depending on the size of the plant around each plant in early spring.

But compare that job to spraying every leaf every time it rains.

And I use the verb poke very specifically to mean into the ground, not up any openings.

This post was edited by kimka on Wed, May 22, 13 at 16:43

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

I have a much cheaper solution--no plants that yell to deer "Free Lunch." I have a lush, interesting, very large ornamental garden with almost nothing that appeals to deer--no hostas, very few daylilies, no yews, no tulips--only lots of plants that don't interest deer very much.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

That can work if you don't have hungry deer. The *only* evergreen plant I grow that deer haven't touched is boxwood. They have eaten the hellebores, the bearded iris, the pachysandra....

I would love to replace the yews in the front of the house with something deer resistant. The problem has been finding that something that can handle the conditions. There isn't anything. Evergreens that can handle almost full shade, alkaline soil, and an exposed zone 5 location are rare.

• marquest
    10 years ago

Lacy I will trade you deers. My deer have not met a plant that they were not interested. They even eat Daffodils. That is usually a plant that no animal has much interest.

A hungry deer will eat what is available.... desirable or not.

Thank you kimka. I will try and have tried everything. Right now I am using Vicks vapor rub on strips of fabric around the plants and the yard that seems to be working.

Our mild winters have produced a over run of critters. The country is thinking of opening up to bow and arrow hunting to cut the herds down.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    10 years ago

Last year was our first selling it at the nursery, so it is good to get feedback here on it.

One thing to keep in mind...it does take awhile for the product to start working (THINK it may be a month) so you will certainly need to use something until it takes effect. Also...one customer came in and said it didn't work- likely because he used it so close to the plant going into dormancy that it didn't have time to get into the system of the plant.

It also doesn't protect against deer rubbing antlers on it either ;-)

The thing is, it is REALLY $$. We retail a bottle of 50 tabs for around $20. Not bad until you consider you almost always need multiple tablets per shrub.
    CMK

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH