Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Did I just kill my Salvia???

bgaviator
10 years ago

Last night I moved and divided my May Night Salvia plants. My local garden center said now was the time to do it. I have never divided plants before, so I could have very well done it wrong, but I went to check on my plants this afternoon and they are all wilted and flopped over. Are they gonners? Can I get them to come back?

Comments (10)

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

Keep them watered well! and they should perk up. If you get a very hot and sunny day- you might try to shade them a little. sometimes I just lay a newspaper over transplants lightly during the heat of the day till they perk up. (not tightly covering, just shading.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    10 years ago

I would cut them back and give shade right away. Salvia hates being moved. I use those cheap round metal plant cages, cut land scape fabric and clothes. Looks ugly for a while but it works. It should bounce back if shaded right a way. Then wait for new growth before slowly introducing sunlight. Good Luck

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It was very sunny today. Up near 80 degrees.

Thanks for those tips! I just went out and loosely laid newspaper over them....had to put some rocks on the corners cause it's a little breezy today. Should I take the newspaper off at night, or just leave it on? I think it's supposed to be sunny again tomorrow.

This post was edited by bgaviator on Wed, May 1, 13 at 16:25

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

I would not cut them back.

Did you actually give them a real soaking when first transplanted? The ground around them doesn't look at all wet. If not do it asap and shade as others have said. Then leave them alone until (if) they droop slightly and water deeply again.

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I watered them ok....I just have a straight spout watering can right now.....I filled it up and gave them and used all the water for three of the plants, filled it up again and then did the other 3. I think it's a 1 gallon watering can.

The dirt in this area was very poor before I started the garden last year.....had just been a weed bed for years....I am slowly trying to get it better. I mixed in some compost last year, and we used this kind of mulch that was supposed to break down and help amend the soil. I haven't added anything to the soil yet this year.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

Water the whole bed to help raise the humidity. As others have said, give them shade until they have a chance to settle in and grow some new roots. I usually try to transplant when cool and/or rainy weather is forecast.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would have waited until a rainy day.. and done it then.. rather than a forecast of many 80 degree days ..

do NOT let the soil dry.. at root depth.. for a week..

they ought to perk right up

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

They'll survive. Just keep 'em watered. A lot of those leaves might die, but as long as you eventually see new growth in the center, things will be just fine.

As others have said - for future reference - do this stuff earlier in the season or wait until a cool spell. I like to get my dividing and transplanting done when you still have to wear a coat outside. Temps in the 50's or low 60's are just perfect. The plants love it too because the roots don't have to work as hard delivering water to the leaves. That's why your plants are wilting.

Kevin

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

If you have the time to uncover them for morning sun (at night, I suppose) then I would let them have some sun in the early morning hours- then cover them by 9 or 10. You'll want to water them daily probably anyway- so the paper needs to come off for that.

I agree about watering the whole bed--- the surrounding dry soil will suck the water away from your plants otherwise.

This post was edited by lola-lemon on Wed, May 1, 13 at 22:46

• bgaviator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those are all great ideas everyone! I did make some shade out of some tomato cages and fabric. I have watered them pretty good too. They seem to be coming back for me. I think it's supposed to be overcast here the next few days, so we'll see how they continue to do. I will keep everyone updated.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner