Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How aggressive is Golden Creeping Jenny?

Posted by a2zmom Z6 - NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 15:30

I have a new bed and I was thinking of planting this in the front. Does it play nicely with other perennials or will it overpower them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How aggressive is Golden Creeping Jenny?

I gave my mom this plant last year. It's spreading in a wet, shady spot where she has Hydrangeas. I do not think this would overpower anything at all.

o

its a freakin nightmare ... given a few years ...

though it does respond rather nicely to roundup ... and its generics ....

5 years later.. i am still irritated having bought it at a plant sale at a very famous arboretum ... they should have known better ...

OK.. got that off my chest ..... now the rest of you can tell me of its glories ....

ken

o

LOL. Ken, it's forbidden for planting where we live. I didn't know that at the time, but mine didn't survive simply because it was planted in a drought-ish area of my property.

If you are looking for an alternative, I'm extremely impressed with Angelina Sedum as a striking yellow groundcover. I have mine interplanted with a red groundcover sedum and it's performed beautifully for me, formed a nice carpet.

o

I can agree with Ken on this one... It's a freakin' nightmare. While it looks great initially, if you ever want to change it out or get rid of it, you WON'T. It keeps reappearing every year no matter what you try to do to get rid of it. Wherever it touches any ground, it reattaches itself and roots right there, so you now have another one to worry about.

o

I have had it for many, many years in a number of beds--dry partial shade to moist full sun. Yes, you have to pull it back periodically, but a freaking nightmare? Never.

o

I've had mine 3 years and so far so good. I pull it away around plants here and there and away from the lawn edge. I may still be in the honeymoon phase. Its looking very good right now before other stuff gets going.

o

A definite divide in opinion!

Sounds like sedum might be the safer option.

o

EXCEPT: Know that Sedum 'Angelina' - which I use a lot! - also spreads like
the Golden Jenny. If you drop the tiniest clipping as you cross the lawn, for example, soon enough you'll have a new colony where that "tiny piece" took
root. . .it has happened to me twice, so I'm just more vigilant now. The
distinct advantage of "Angelina" over "Jenny" (sounds like a cat fight!) is that
"Angelina" takes on beautiful russet tones in cooler weather and actually
looks wonderful during the winter. . .still, I use them both and simply keep
a watchful eye - "Angelina" in full sun, "Jenny" in partial shade.

Carl

o

Golden/yellow creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia aurea) has mostly died out in a perennial bed here, but made up for it by spreading into adjacent lawn. It's not conspicuous in that area, but I can see it being a problem in, say, one's front yard where uniform turf is desired.

Or you could take advantage of the Lysimachia's spreading habit and combine it with Ajuga to achieve a LysimachiaAjugaLawn for a nice yellow, purple, blue and green patchwork quilt effect.

o

talk about a catfight... that would be interesting to see which one wins between Lysimachia and Ajuga. Ajuga would get the edge in shade. Jenny in sun. In part-shade, let the catfight begin...

o

Angelina can root from a tiny piece, however it's easy to pull out while Jenny likes to sneak into the middle of other plants and then you have to dig up the other plant, wash the roots, go through them thoroughly looking for bits of Jenny, replant and pray you got it all or toss said infested plant. Hmm, let me think about that one! ( I have occasionally used Jenny in large pots where it looks lovely draping down the side, just clip it before it hits the ground.)

o

I have not have problems with either ajuga (in fact I wish mine were more aggressive) nor golden creeping jenny but...I have seen a bed where the creeping jenny was smothering other plants and the owner thought it was a freaking nightmare and told me not to plant it when I asked her about it.

o

I disagree with Ken.
I've had it for 4 years. It will root wherever it touches the ground, so keep it away from your lawn.

Every couple of weeks, as you walk around your garden, grab a handful and tug if it starts wandering into areas you don't want it to be.

Here's a pic from my garden last year.

o

Mine has a huge preference for growing into the lawn. It has a nice soft loose bed it can grow in, but no, it prefers to run as fast as it can, and as far as it can, into the lawn.

o

Given the plant's invasiveness, would it be appropriate to plant in a woodland garden? I have this large wooded area in the back of my new home. When I first moved in a few months ago, the wooded area was full of brush probably about 6-7' tall, under a canopy of mature, deciduous trees. I hired someone to clear all the brush in the winter and it looked beautiful until a month ago. Now I can see all the invasive green brush sprouting back up. So I'm in the process of spraying Roundup 'Brush Killer', wait 2-3 weeks, and then uproot all the brush. But I would like to convert that area to a beautiful woodland garden at some point. So I planted some 8' white pines, and I'm going to mix in some hostas, ferns, and astilbe. But I thought it would be great to have a colorful groundcover as well. I'm just wondering if Creeping Jenny would be a good option. It's invasiveness would certainly create a colorful 'carpet' quickly and hopefully help fight off the brush from coming back. I just don't know if the Jenny would compete with the surrounding hostas and ferns for moisture. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could kindly offer. Thank you!

bobby

o

I planted several fist fulls of Lysimachia nummularia aurea and yellow Lamium maculatum last summer. Only a tiny piece of Lysimachia survived the winter whereas the yellow Lamium is growing beautifully. I am watching how much this piece of Lysimachia will grow this year.

o

Surprised to read that it's an invasive for so many people.

Mine has grown very slowly for years, gravitating towards a concrete path rather than where I try to direct it. I have a few small "islands" of it (rather than a big "carpet") that I move around from time to time. But that's it.

Maybe it dislikes the heavy clay (alkali rich?) soil around here. Or our summer nights are too cool and dry...? [shrug]

This post was edited by ms_xeno on Thu, May 22, 14 at 18:46

o

i always find it amazing when a one inch tall plant makes 200 pound guys-or gals-go wah wah wah

o

I'm currently pitting creeping golden jenny Vs creeping thyme in a moist part shade walkway area, winner take all

o

It is not invasive in Central Texas. It needs to be coddled with irrigation and soil amendments. I look at lawns as an unpleasant invasive.

o

Cat fight, haha.
It is doing well for me. Going right back on and around a stone woodland path. Slowly.
Where not much would take in soggy shade except a bit of rue, astilbes, and ferns off to the side of the path. Everybody is welcome on that path. Jenny can be walked on without harm.
I like its contrasting color in shade.
I was concerned about Ajuga for a couple years as it was winning but up and disappeared one year. I kinda miss it.

o

I love my creeping jenny! For five years it was very mellow, didn't spread at all despite me wanting it to. Then in the last years it has taken off more (wet years). But not in a way I can't manage (though it definitely requires some weeding around other small plants). I don't have it anywhere near lawn, so I can't speak to that. It seems to be more bountiful in full sun (I have it in a variety of light conditions). Lot of clay in my soil, I don't know if that slows it down more.

o

jenny and ajuga hanging out together

o

It's a freakin' nightmare. ;)

A relatively slow-motion horror show, but if you like your lawn gradually turning a speckled yellow it's just the thing for you. My Lysimachia-lawn about 8 years after it first escaped, now covers about 15 square feet but it's in an inconspicuous area.

o

This is how much mine has grown in 5 years.

20140524_170611.jpg

Aggressive? No, not for me. Hopeful? Yep. It's getting a bit more sun now, so I'm sure it will do a little better. Seems the key to me is keeping it in more shade and less sun, oh, and clay soil. That seems to tame the beast a bit, as well. Mine is in amended clay.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here