Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
centaurea monana amethyst in snow

Posted by charlie-ia none (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 15:43

does anyone grow this? I think i have it (bought as something completely different)
Usual cornflower leaf. White petals and purple centre, but the petals fade to a nice lilac colour. Have i identified it correctly? If you have amethyst in snow, does yours change colour as the blooms mature?
Many thanks, charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: centaurea monana amethyst in snow

I had it at my old house. I don't recall the center changing color. It was a beauty!

o

sorry, i wasnt clear. The white petals on mine fade to lilac, the centre stays purple. Is purple heart the same plant too, or is that different again?
Definately pretty though. Thanks wendyb

o

Oh, you were clear. I read too fast (again!). This is my Amethyst In Snow

o

definately very similar.isnt it lovely! You wouldnt have a picture taken about a week later would you? best wishes, charlie

o

Sorry, couldn't find one.

o

Shortly after we had this conversation, I saw this plant at the garden center looking very nice so I picked it up for my new house. I noticed that the newly open flowers did not have as dark centers as the older ones, but they got darker with time. Today I happened to notice the lilac colored petals as more time has gone by. So I think we have a solid ID on yours.

The camera didn't pick up all the lilac. There seemed like there was actually more in real life, but this shows some.

Notice also how the centers are darker on the older blooms with lilac petals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here