Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
draasch_gw

Desperately Seeking: 'Carol Ann columbine' / Aquilegia

draasch
14 years ago

I was hoping and praying that I could find a greenhouse online that not only HAS this perennial, but also ships as well.

Was praying that maybe I could at least order several before Mother's Day. My Mom's name is Carol Anne. (OK, spelling's a bit different, but so what?)

I have a couple of these in my yard. I guess I COULD dig one or two of the three up, IF my wife lets me! They are one of the prettiest blooms in our garden right now!

So, does anybody know a company that I could order some of these from and have them ship it to my mom in Wisconsin ??

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Comments (6)

• ramazz
    14 years ago

This place says they deliver nationwide. They are in Chicago.

http://www.schaefergreenhouses.com/garden_product/perennials.html

I had never heard of Carol Ann, but when I looked it up, it looks similar to some seed-grown columbines that I have that are labeled "Pretty Bonnets." Mine are mixed colors.

Becky

• draasch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, but I looked all over on their site, trying to figure out how to order. And it would appear that, when they say they deliver nationwide, they are talking about their FTD floral bouquet stuff.

Yeah, there are several columbines "out there" in a similar style, but, given that my mom's name is actually "Carol Anne", you can see why I'd want to get the exact one.

I had said earlier I thought about maybe digging one of mine up, but the buggers are almost 3 feet tall right now! I can't imagine how I'd package it so that it wouldn't get hurt during shipment.

Oh well.... a gift card is starting to look more and more appealing.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Transplanting a mature columbine in your own garden, much less one in bloom, is usually a failure. Shipping it somewhere would guarantee death. Forget it.

• draasch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ancient thread, I know. But as I'm still searching for suppliers of this columbine, I have a few things to note:

1) I shipped 3 mature members to my mom in Wisconsin (I live in Missouri) without any problem at all. They all survived and have put in at least two full seasons with her now.

2) I found one site that says that "Carol Ann" and "Granny's Bonnet" are the same variety. I found a couple of sites that say that "Granny's Bonnet" and "Dorothy Rose" are the same variety.

3) The botanical name of all three is reported to be "Aquilegia vulgaris". But that includes many, many cultivars and flowers of many colors.

Makes me wish I could find a reference to the different cultivars. I'd really like to be sure I'm truly getting seeds for "Carol Ann" since that's what I already have in the ground here (though a couple were crowded out last year and I fear may not come back this year).

It looks like Swiftgreenhouses.com is selling them this year to their customers / distributors. (And I did recover one of the "tag-stakes" that came with my original set of columbines, and the address on them led me to that website.) But of course, I'm not a business, so I can't buy direct from them.

They've got a "broker list" there, but those too appear to be wholesalers.

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

hmmm, named varieties of aquilegies, apart from the species and oddities such as the Barlow varieties are always on a doomed trip to general cross-pollinated randomness. They are so promiscuous, unless you go to all that bagging and isolating business, most special types will soon interbreed and lose their specific charms.
    Too many busy bees (keeping foxgloves white - another doomed attempt at control).

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

hmmm, named varieties of aquilegies, apart from the species and oddities such as the Barlow varieties are always on a doomed trip to general cross-pollinated randomness. They are so promiscuous, unless you go to all that bagging and isolating business, most special types will soon interbreed and lose their specific charms.
    Too many busy bees (keeping foxgloves white - another doomed attempt at control).