Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmsimmons

Introducing myself

kmsimmons
9 years ago

I typically lurk and ask questions when necessary. This is my favorite forum so I thought I would post some pictures here. My husband and I bought our house six years ago, and when we moved in the front yard was a clay dirt hill. The previous owner parked in the lawn, on the hill, and the oil from his truck typically dripped into the yard. The only plantings were five holly bushes shaped like lollipops. Grass is an ongoing battle in the areas we have not made into garden beds, but we keep trucking away at it! The house was a off white or dirty white as we called it with black trim and a black garage door. I am sharing pictures from one of my favorite beds.

Comments (15)

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the garden behind the monkey grass

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't know how to post more than one picture at a time, so bear with me

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Geranium I absolutely love

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Petunias are much more purple than they appear in the pictures

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture with the irises starting to bloom

• lesmc
    9 years ago

So colorful and happy! Your garden is lovelyâ¦thanks for sharing with us. Lesley

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Welcome, KSims, and thanks for sharing your garden with us. Love the irises - color is beautiful. What kind are they?

Dee

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Very nice pictures + garden design. Thanks for sharing! I'm loving the variety of foliage textures as well as bloom colors.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Welcome! Lovely pics! I really like the roofline of your house :0)

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Dee, I ordered those irises when I first really got interested in gardening and realized today that I have no information on them. This is the first year I am seeing them bloom. I planted them fall of 2011 and then moved them and then moved them. I may be transplant crazy....
    I was originally disappointed in the color but over two days time they slowly turned into exactly what I was expecting. I need to take another picture because over the last day they got better. To me at least ðÂÂÂ

I'm adding a picture of this garden from the house side. Saw it on my phone and wanted to share

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of the geranium I absolutely love. There are two cuttings in this garden.

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The garden is very random but I feel utilizes the amounts of sun and at what times of year best. I can squeak out a decent amount of sun at the very front of this bed. It's my favorite and part of that has lots to do with the incorporation of annuals that I really enjoy.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Hi KSimS,

Very attractive.
    Love the colours.

That business about blue/purple and the camera:

I don't know much about photography, but got a new camera a while back. Started using it this spring and had a fit when the purple crocuses appeared blue in the pictures.

A friend pointed me to the "white balance" function on the camera. Turning it from White Balance Automatical to Daylight, for garden pictures, is currently solving the problem.

• kmsimmons
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks SunnyBorders! That is very helpful concerning the camera and purple blue issue. I will definitely have to check the settings.