Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purpled flowered silver leafed minty smelling plant ID!

Posted by karate626 7A Maryland (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 16:12

The subject title says it all. Pics included.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks
T.J.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purpled flowered silver leafed minty smelling plant ID!

catnip .. catmint ...

hallucinogenic to cats..

and an invasive weed for me...

or some other mint ..

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE ...

ken

o

That is definitely catmint. Some are sterile and others are not.

o

None of my catmints from a variety of sources have ever seeded around. I think that what is mostly sold in my area is sterile.

o

Thanks! I've had this for at least 12 years. It hasn't spread a ton. I just divided it into 3 clumps. It doesn't really require much care in my yard. Pretty plant. I'm glad it isn't invasive like my pepper mint (which I am keeping in a pot).

T.J.

o

Looks good. It's one of my favorites. It's definitely Nepeta.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 11 at 8:31

I should plant a small clump for the 4 strays I feed but afraid these loyal strays kitties might demolish what I've been enslaving myself in!!! A friend said might cause havoc where I plant it ~ right?!

o

Does anyone have a guess what species of Nepeta it is? My plant is very well behaved. I just divided it into 3 clumps after it growing for 10-15ish years. It has slowly grown larger since I planted it. It has never set seed. I guess I got a good cultivar.

T.J.

o

Thanks again guys! I was nervous about dividing this in the Summer but it seems to have been a success! Here is a pic of one of the divisions from today!

Photobucket

T.J.

o

I had never heard of nepeta until last year.
A person on cottage gardening plants it with their roses.
I have now plant some.

See the first pic. in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: nepeta and roses

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 16:42

Looks like a catmint to me :0)

I've not had mine spread rambunctiously but the plant itself does tend to sprawl outward - easily remedied by whacking back with the added bonus of whacking being another round of bloom. Of course it increases in size each year, but again very easily remedied by dividing - after which it doesn't miss a beat so go ahead and whack and divide all you want, this plant couldn't care less.

I get a whiff of something when I disturb the foliage - not minty to my nose, though. Whatever it is, I don't particularly care for it but it's not off-putting per se.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here