Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crosscut_gw

whats your longest blooming perennial for full sun

crosscut
15 years ago

I'm looking for perennials with the longest bloom-time in full sun. So far, I have "May Night" salvia, 20 weeks (because it reblooms in fall) and "Becky" shasta daisy (for the same reason) Any suggestions? Remember... lots of sunshine here

Comments (32)

• leslies
    15 years ago

Salvia uliginosa bloom longer in my garden than just about anything else. Calamint is a close second with catmint probably in third. Salvia guaranitica bloome pretty much constantly once it reaches blooming height, but that can take a few weeks. Still, it blooms right through from midsummer until cold weather, which is when I bring it in.

Cannas bloomed all season for me last year, too, but I dig those up - I don't actually know whether they'd last the winter out there or not.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Roses bloom longest for me....or are they a shrub?
    Linda C

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Gaillardia 'Goblin' bloomed here from mid-May until the first hard frost. It loves full sun, and is drought tolerant.

Bonnie

• gazania_gw
    15 years ago

Geranium "Jolly Bee" was my longest bloomer last year beginning in late May and ending in late September.

Ozark primrose (Oenothera missouriensis) is another very long bloomer. A nice trailing habit with poppy type large yellow flowers.

Nepeta subsessillisis was colorful from early June till Setpember. A lot of intrest in the bloom from the bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. The goldfinches then came for the seeds in the fall.

• arbordayle
    15 years ago

Verbena Homestead Purple. It's supposed to be treated as an annual here, but has returned for it's fourth season. Began to bloom this week and will continue until hard frost. Love it!

• Karchita
    15 years ago

Penstemon blooms nearly year round here; hardy fuchsia blooms from August to December; and erica (heath) blooms from late December to late April or May.

I'm not sure that is helpful to folks in other climates, but I really treasure these plants that work so hard for me.

• oldroser
    15 years ago

Geranium Roxanne - it never stops.

• anitamo
    15 years ago

Purple coneflowers and joe pye weed don't start blooming until late June or so, but they last until fall. And the foliage gives substance, too. Also, my coreopsis verticilata...species and cultivars have a long bloom time. The balloon flowers, too.

• giverny4me
    15 years ago

gaillardia,scabious(pincushion flower),balloon flower can go 10 months in here...love em.

• farmerbell
    15 years ago

For me,the longest bloomer is verbena 'snowflurry'. It starts blooming with the daffodils and does not stop, even with a hard frost. It will bloom off and on during the winter when night temps stay above the mid-twenties. I live in zone 6. Amazing plant! Plus it comes true from seed. It does not spread like 'Homestead Purple' and gets a little taller.

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of verbena 'Snowflurry'

• primgal36
    15 years ago

For me, it's may night as well as anise hyssop, catmint, balloon flower, my shrub roses, shastas, daylilies, speedwells, liatrus, coneflowers, gallardia, sedum, phlox, chrysanthumums, and more that I planted in the fall and I'm waiting to see how they perform this year. There are alot of good choices out there to try. Have fun with it.

• paigect
    15 years ago

Geranium 'Jolly Bee' here as well. It got to the point where I got a little tired of it! That and my knockout rose were still blooming up to the first frost.

• brpinson
    15 years ago

farmerbell..thanks for the info on Snowflurry. I've stayed away from verbenas since Homestead Purple took over my yard 5 or 6 years ago. I was ripping it out by the wheelbarrow and hesitant to try another one, but I'd like to try this one. Also I think white might be a little easier to work with.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

The following plants bloom for more than two months:

Achillea 'Coronation Gold'
    Euphorbia corollata
    Allium senescens var. calcareum (Blooms late May-mid July, takes a short rest and then blooms again Late Aug-Sept)
    Perovskia x atriplicifolia 'Longin'
    Salvia greggi 'Cherry Queen'
    Salvia microphylla 'Wild Watermelon'
    Salvia x 'Maraschino'
    Stokesia laevis 'Peachey'
    Verbena bonariensis

• marni37
    15 years ago

The very best are Alstromeria, then Penstemon, then Salvia.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

I've a geranium in a pot that has has continuous bloom for about three years. Sometimes it gets a ugly and I clip them all off but left to its own it seems it would bloom continuously.

We a rose of some sort that blooms from may until frost.

• dicot
    15 years ago

Salvia microphylla "Hot Lips".

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

salvia 'purple rain', rose campion, scabiosa, jasione, corydalis lutea, calamint

I will have to try that white verbena, I never heard of it but it's lovely.

• redsox_gw
    15 years ago

Scabiosa is the longest blooming for me.

• dirtdiver
    15 years ago

It's got to be scabiosa ochroleuca for me. Rose campion does ok too.

• carygardener
    15 years ago

1. Gaillardia
    2. Purple perennial Verbena

• virakech
    15 years ago

moonbeam correopsis
    and of course, my roses.
    some clematis rebloom from June through to fall.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Clematis Ville De Lyon. Starts blooming in late June and goes heavy on the flowering straight into September.

Rudbeckias -Gloriosa Daisies. Can't beat them. They keep going from July until frost.

Verbena Bonariensis - Minimum 2 months bloom and the butterflies are a bonus!

• terrene
    15 years ago

Scabiosa ochroleuca was a very long bloomer last summer - and I didn't even deadhead because the Goldfinches love the seeds!

Winter-sowed lots of cultivars of Rudbeckia hirta this year, so I'm looking forward to those blooms.

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

Knautia macedonica starts in May and goes through Fall
    Geranium Rozanne
    Clematis Betty Corning and Polish Spirit are my longest bloomers.

• philipw2
    15 years ago

To all you verbena people,

How do you keep your verbena alive over winter? Mine just die in the garden. I have tried various times with various varieties.. They just don't make it.

Do you plant them in sand for extra drainage?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Don't cut back the verbena at all until spring/last frost and don't water it during the dormant season. I had a beautiful pink and white verbena come back this year because it was sheltered under a lavender. I definitely thought it would be annual.
    But we had a very mild winter too.

• Donna
    15 years ago

Lantana, Snowflurry verbena (it seeds around too, without being a pest. Great plant!), Salvia guarantica Black and Blue, Salvia farinacea Mystic Spires, Tibouchina (takes a while to get going), nothing blooms longer than (the right) roses, butterfly weed, cannas, Gulfcoast penstemon.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Scabiosa
    Nepeta 'Walker's Low' and 'Six Hills Giant'
    Verbena bonariensis
    Homestead Verbena
    Perennial heliotrope 'Azure skies'
    Salvia greggii 'Navajo Red'
    Delosperma cooperii

My snapdragons are perennials here, but annuals other places. They bloom forever it seems.

Cameron

• sadie2005
    15 years ago

My heliopsis "summer sun" is one of the first to bloom in my garden and goes ALL summer

• Jessallyn
    15 years ago

Modern Roses
    Veronica "Sunny Border Blue"
    Nepeta
    Russian Sage
    Verbena Bon.
    Coreopsis Vert. "Moonbeam"
    Dianthus Int. "Ideal" or "Bouquet"
    Gaura "Siskuyu Pink"

Only the first category are really perennials. The Dianthus hybrids are theoretically annuals, but keep coming back for me. But then the Gaura is supposed to be a perennial, but blooms like an annual - and dies out in winter like on too!
    I only buy it if it's priced like an annual.

• gfult
    15 years ago

Heliopsis (not sure of variety - probably summer sun) blooms from June almost to frost
    Coreopsis (not sure if this is moonbeam or zagreb)
    I also have a yellow echinacea that blooms for quite a long time

Lamium - chequers variety also blooms all summer
    My hardy Geranium blooms all summer but i hardly count it because it is so sparse.
    Oh wait, you said sun...

If we are counting roses - Golden Showers and Mary Rose both bloom from June until the petals are frozen.