Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning euphorbia

Posted by Jan.ON 5b/6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 16:29

I have a euphorbia amygdaloides 'Ruby Glow'. Various pruning information I have found seems to suggest either trimming to just below the blooms since it blooms on old wood, or removing the bloom stalks completely to the base. So - which? Does anyone have the definitive answer?
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning euphorbia

I've grown all manner of hardy evergreen euphorbias for years and always remove the old flower stalk at the base of the plant (or as close to it as possible). These will never produce flowers again but can sprout some new shoots along their length that can become flowering stems down the road. However, a full or more complete removal results in a stockier and more robust plant. By the time you remove the old flower stems, the plant has produced new basal growth that will become the next season's flower stems.

The only exception I'd make for this is with Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiea, or Mrs Robbs Bonnet, which is a spreading, suckering variety ideally suited to dry shade. Pruning these individually takes more effort than I'd care to spend and since they are suckering anyway, a stockier plant is not really of any additional value.

o

Thanks gardengal, that's exactly what I need to know. I would like to keep this plant in a rather limited space, so serious pruning makes sense.
Jan

o

Ruby Glow should stay put without worry. It is not the most robust euphorb I've grown (IME, the darker the foliage, the less hardy the plant) and doesn't seem to produce any stoloniferous growth. Robbiea, on the otherhand, spreads aggressively via stolons, especially in better soil and plenty of irrigation and is often sold as an evergreen groundcover for difficult situations. There is some thought that robbiea is a distinct species of its own, since its growth habit is markedly different from other amygdaloides selections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here