Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Plant-Need ID

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 16:31

doing some volunteer weeding at friends's house, no one recognized this plant, not even the owner....please help

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Plant-Need ID

Looks a little bit like a Symphytum, but I'm not sure. Almost certainly from the Borage family.

o

looks just like my comfrey, a plant that cannot be killed, lol. I love the little flowers. I have my plant surrounded in black plastic (under mulch) which seems to be the only way to keep it from spreading. I've had it for at least five years and it has stayed put this way. Google "comfrey plant" for more.

o

Did you know that comfrey has medicinal use? It is used to relieve pain and bruising/swelling by applying a cool compress.

o

it is also great for fertilizer, I've read. add the leaves to your compost pile. it has many "old timey" uses, as well. friends and myself have planted it in the wrong spot and wow...good luck getting rid of it. methods that finally DID work include...digging two feet down, pouring plant killer in the hole, filling hole with gravel THEN black plastic. yikes!

o

Cerinthe

o

Definitely comfrey, Symphythum officinale. In the right place, a nice garden plant but difficult to eradicate if not wanted - has a ferocious taproot. I'd careful about using it for medicinal purposes - it contains alkaloids that can lead to liver problems and is considered toxic to livestock.

o
oops! typo!!

Sorry - that's Symphytum, not Symphythum.

o

"I'd careful about using it for medicinal purposes - it contains alkaloids that can lead to liver problems and is considered toxic to livestock."

It has been used as tea in the past, but these days I think it is typically used externally much the same way as Arnica. You can find it listed in salve/ointment ingredients for livestock and pets.

o

There's a discussion of Comfrey over on the herbs forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comfrey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here