Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara82lee

One sad sago

sara82lee
9 years ago

I posted this in the palms group, but it doesn't seem like there are many folks who frequent there. Thought maybe someone here might have some ideas for me...

My dearest husband bought me a sago palm - last year for mothers day! I never got it in the ground last year, though it lived outside in the pot it came in (probably not big enough). So I brought it in the house for the winter.

It obviously hated me for making it live so long in that original pot AND spend the winter in the house. I feared it was going to be dead by spring. The leaves began to lose their color one by one right up until the time I put it in the ground about 6 weeks ago. I've already cut off 7 leaves that were completely brown. I am only now convinced that it's not going to die because it's kept what color it has left since I finally planted it outside.

I know these don't exactly grow very fast, but is there anything I can do to help it now? I did mix compost in when I planted it.

I'm also a bit worried that, since it's starting in such a weakened state, it won't be established enough by this coming winter. I've been told that sagos are hardy here by someone else on this site, but I'm really borderline 7b/8a and I'm just not sure. Is there anything I can do to help it get ready for this coming winter?

Thank you, thank you! Sara

Comments (5)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I have no personal knowledge about palms of any kind living where I do but according to my own garden experience, hardy perennials, shrubs & trees are happier & healthier once set in the ground than they are in containers. Top growth is for show; root growth is for sustaining the plant.

Neither your palm nor my shrubs & perennials can be happy if their roots are not. Chances are the roots inside the container couldn't grow downward and started growing horizontally round and round inside the pot.

Your winter in Z8a is a lot less severe than winter where I am which gives your palm a couple of extra months to settle in before it has to face dormancy.

• sara82lee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Yes, I do believe it is much happier in the ground with room for the roots to grow properly. I hadn't thought about it having a little bit of extra time to settle before winter. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Great info at the link below. One of the best when it comes to cycads.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cycad Jungle

• rfonte649
    9 years ago

Sago palms are a very tough plant, we had a very very cold winter this year for the south. Many sago leaves turned brown. Cut them down to the trunk and they usually pop back with a whole set of new leaves.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

This year, I had a 16F cold winter with another 19F snap late in March. My in ground Sago did just fine. I cut back ALL the leaves this spring and I was rewarded with a flush of 32 leaves. It is getting to be a good sized plant. The other one who is smaller has a 15 leaf flush with this treatment. I think it is smaller than your plant. Other small ones died. They were unprotected. They might just be slow in coming back.. Their leaves had gone all "calico" from the cold. So I cut them all off.

This baby has lived through cold fronts of 12F several years back when it was much smaller.

I do usually throw a warm cloth and leaves over the growth point to be on the safe side and I don't cut the leaves until they turn splotchy in the spring.I covered them with a blanket but it is too D@MN large and the horizontal configuration has the blanket always blowing off when the Blue northers hit. I am thinking about cutting them ALL the fronds off before the cold from hits and using them for insulation before the cold hits. God knows covering them with a blanket will be easier if one has just a stub. Also the old leaves are sucking energy that can go to the new young scarless leaves. Funny how they don't show the cold damage immediately. One thinks that you escaped the fire but then they turn on you. Maybe I will start collecting thatch for a chicken house or something silly.