Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asters

Posted by saturn1956 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 16:39

Is it to late to transplant and divide asters mine is close to a huge Daisey plant and I would like to move it and possibly divide it as well

saturn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asters

No, I don't think it's too late if you are talking about fall-blooming Asters. I have found they are easily divided and transplanted. However, try to transplant on a day that is cloudy or even drizzly and keep well watered before and after. Easier on the plant.

o

Asters are incredibly easy to divide and transplant. As terrene mentioned above, keep them well watered for a few weeks after transplant and they will hardly skip a beat.

o

Are they really all that easy? I've been eyeing a clump of Purple Dome that is getting large, but I've hesitated to divide them because of past experiences trying to dig out native asters. I've never dug out cultivated varieties so I don't know if there is a difference. It was extremely difficult to dig them up (the natives), quite frankly, and I'm not up to doing that just now with the Purple Dome. I keep telling myself that the clump will only get bigger and even less easy to dig, but maybe it won't be so bad...?

Dee

o

Digging up an old clump of Purple Dome will be physically difficult but worth doing, and you can do it now. Al

o

I grow some Purple Dome, in their second year. They do spread, but at a nice pace, by rhizomes. My dad swears by chopping a piece of perennial out of the established plant, (an wedge-shaped part, cut by spade and then lifted somehow), so the older plant just keeps on. you can fill the gap left by the lifted part with fresh compost, and divide and replant the rest.

Well, good luck with your nice Aster,

bye, Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here